Which Fertilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debomb4u

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm wondering about which one i should get. When i get one i want one that will cover all the plants needs instead of getting a whole series. I've heard that alot of people use flourish and flourish excel, do you use other types of ferts with that or do you use it by itself?

I dont have co2 set up and my tank is well planted.

I was considering flourish or flourish excel, leaf zone, or flora pride.
Any comments on which is the best and will work the best with my types of plants?

I use Flourish on its own usually....quite a good fert....you may wish to consider a small CO2 unit, like the Hagen one....inexpensive and easy to use.

Flourish is a good line of ferts. I have no idea how much light you have on that 10gal, so I can't say if you need CO2 or not. But since it is only 10gal, Excel would be a useful supplement for carbon instead of CO2. Flourish comprehensive should cover the rest.
Definitely don't waste cash on Flourish trace though.

Ok well i think i am going to go with flourish... bigals has a 500 ml sale for like 6 bucks or so. And they say you use 1100 ml for every 5000 gallons 8O

I dont need co2 since i run my tank on natural sunlight.

By the way since last night my molly has been laying on the bottom and occasionally swims up. Woke up this morning and hes still alive but just laying there. His molly friend/mate passed away a month or so ago. So i dont think i'll be getting mollies any more. The only new things i've put in the tank are aponogeton and lily bulbs.... that i got pretty much for free. ( i sent back 5 lilys that didnt sprout and got back 8 aponogetons and 8 lilys ) But if he does die atleast he survived a cycle and ich.

Direct sunlight is far more powerful than any tank light you can buy. If you're really using direct sunlight, then you'll want Excel for carbon. Low light tanks are the only type that don't benefit from CO2 injection, so assuming you have a south facing window without curtains, you'll want some carbon in that tank.

I dont know if it works the same but i'm assuming it does, i have the tetra whisper junior/ regular filter and it takes the super activated carbon filter bags. I have 2 east facing windows which the tank gets light from about sunrise to about 10 and then theres a break of when it gets light untill it gets light from my south south west window.

If the carbon in the filter bags wont give the plants carbon, will excel work as a fert or will i also have to use regular flourish along with it?

what's in your filter is technically activated charcoal. it will NOT provide any organic carbon to your plants. it only absorbs things.

Excel is ONLY an organic carbon source. You will still need Flourish for other nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom