Which Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diamonte

Aquarium Advice Activist
Which hang-on filters do you guys use on your tanks? I know Aquaclear is a really good filter, but besides that which other brands are good. I looked at the MarineLand Bio-Wheel filter and the Penn Plax Cascade filter. Have any of you used them?

Used Marineland/Penguin. Okay, but like most, uses proprietary cartridges. AquaClear = no cartridges; customized media

I still run an ancient, now extinct Marineland / Emperor 280 bio-wheel filter. I discarded the filter cartridge, and stuffed the filter box with Aqua Clear foam sponges. Still works great, no costly filter cartridge replacements. Sponges last for years; just squeeze them out once a month. I suppose you could do the same thing to the newer bio-wheel filters.

Hello Dia...

Over the years, I've used several of the HOBs. Have found the dual sponge filters to be just as efficient and much cheaper. They're easier to clean and with a decent air pump to run the sponge, they're a good buy. The sponges last quite a while and you never have to buy media for them.

Just a thought.

B

I run Topfin and Aqua clear, both are silent and last forever (so far anyway). I think the 2 aquaclear 20's I've got are over 20 years old.

Actually I'm also running a Tetra wisper 10 now for a few years and I'm vary happy with it, I just toss the cartridges and keep the sponge insert so I can run loose media in it without it flowing out of the filter... Very impressed with it thus far.

I run an Eheim 4 350 canister. I live in an apt and my 65G tank is in the living room. So aesthetics matter to me. I didn't have room in the back my tank and the Eheim is pretty quiet for the past 2 years and sits nicely in the base of my tank. It's pricey, but I think it's worth it.

If sparkling crystal clear water means anything to you, go with the Fluval C series. They are made by the same company that makes AquaClear but do a much better job of filtering water. The AquaClear sponge is too coarse and about the only way to get an AquaClear to "polish" the water is to use floss in lieu of carbon. I have an AquaClear 50 that I retired a year or two ago because it did such a mediocre job.

For a further explanation, go here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/c4-vs-aquaclear-335126.html

Back
Top Bottom