which fish are not jumpers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ch-b

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have an open tank with no lid and im not gonna buy a lid for it so i was wondering what fish are not jumpers?

Swordfish, hatchets, and bettas are notorious jumpers. Other than that there's not many that jump.

I suppose just abouts any fish CAN jump, but the ones listed above are some of the most well known fish for jumping

Dwarf gouramies. Just watch for any slow moving fish.

Be wary of barbs - I wouldn't classify them as jumpers per say, but I've had more than one jump out of a tank when they were chasing each other near the surface.

Catfish are a pretty safe bet. Some of them may hit the surface hard for a breath of air and make some noise but I've never had any of mine exit the water ;)

Killifish and pencilfish are bad for jumping. Rainbows can also be jumpers. I only have 2 covered tanks and the rest are open topped but often times if you add some floating plants it keeps fish feeling more secure which makes them less adapt to jump. I've also had some loaches take flying leaps out of my tanks.

I've had Danios, kuhli loaches and some shrimp jump, as well as a Betta. I have open tops too but I'm going to make screen tops for them, as it's too depressing to find a dried out fish or shrimp on the floor.

One Black Kuhli leaped from it's tank, and somehow managed to land in a shrimp tank that was below it, but well off to one side. Even if he jumped from the closest corner, he would have to have 'flown' at least 3 feet to get to where he ended up. So the screen covers are going on as soon as I can get them assembled.

They can be made so they are virtually invisible, if you use clear quarter inch mesh netting. Bulk Reef Supply sells it and kits to make common sizes, using the aluminum framing that's used to make screens for windows and screen doors.

Home Depot sells the necessary tools and materials too, but not the clear netting. It's not that costly really. The frames only come in brown and white but it's not difficult to paint them whatever colour blends in best with your setup.

But if you want wide open tops, you have to be prepared for the odd fish to decide a jump is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom