Which fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
With the disappearance of my true perc I'm now trying to figure out what to replace him with. The original plan was to add a second clownfish once the purple tang was in place, but now the perc I had remaining is gone too. He really wasn't my favorite fish. He stayed at the top of the baffle all the time. Hardly ever swam in the water column and if there was a better than even chance that the next clowns would act that way I'd have no interest in keeping them.

My experience with a gramma is equally as tainted. I got a sick fish that never got over his shyness and died in QT, likely of Urenoma.

So now what? Given my existing fish list what would you put into the tank?

My tank is reef so I'm not interested in risking an angel.

Some fish in my thoughts are orchid dotty back (or other dottyback), true percs (include sales pitch if you're suggesting these), gramma (again, need sales pitch).

Ideally I'd like something else that uses the water column. I'd also like colors not already in my aquarium (yellow, purple, black/maroon, lt blue, brown)

purple firefish
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=173
this guy was only shy for a week and every since then he has danced all other the place and hist top fin boucing all around and he not much of a bio load and hold his own in my tank with angels and tangs over all a cool fish.

or
court jester
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=164
and this little guy is pretty cool to. he pretty active and usually stays around the coral and live rock picking at alage and somethimes sifts the sand. now he does get chased every once and a while but still swim around

also i have a twin spot gody that neat looking but not all that color full hes a link to him even though he doestn have some of the colors your looking for i think he has great character and the only bad thing he does reorganize my sand bed alot
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=216

good luck with the new fish ya add

I second the idea of a purple firefish. Great fish, mine hangs out suspended in the middle of the tank. For a "Where's Waldo" experience, look at the yellow clown goby. They can be found perched on corals and rocks. It is fun to try and spot them.

Wow. Lots of votes for the purple firefish. That's cool. I'll have to research him. Any other suggestions? Our barnacle blenny is great for the "where's waldo" we play that with him every day!

Any other fishie thoughts on how to complete my tank? How many more and which fish all together would you put in?

I would go with a Flame Angel. Their beauty is captivating. Also, a Leopard Wrasse would be cool.

Let me register a vote for another gramma. C'mon, you give your friends second chances, right? Striking colors, affordable, reef safe, generally hardy (OK, work with me on this), interesting personality, friend of Nemo, etc., etc. Who can resist their large mouth bass-like posturing when another approaches their turf? I'd had great success "coaxing" them to find a home right near the front glass. As long as you can put up with a little sand spit on your live rock, they're great. My 2 cents. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom