Which is better, diy dirt mix or prepackage aquarium substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcp12211

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to plan out my planted tank build. I found a substrate mix on a diy forum that is as follows:
layer 1 thin layer maybe 1/2"
cat litter 35%
red clay 35%
azomite 15%
osmocoat plus 15%
Latrite (1 box)

layer 2 not too thick 2"max

mgocpm 90%
dolomite 2.5%
peat granuals 5%
azomite 2.5%

Not sure what I will use for a cap but I know it needs one...

A little about the tank I am setting up....I plan to just go with low light plants at the moment (broke college student graduating nursing school in Dec! woohoo!) I have a 55g hex and a 75g (4ft) tank, not sure which one I will set up first though. Probably the 75g. I will be upgrading lighting next year but I don't plan to upgrade to co2.
So I guess my questions are:
1. Will there be significant growth difference with the diy substrate versus the prepackaged?
2. Is it silly to go through all that diy mixing for just low light plants?
3. I know I should plant as many plants as I can before I fill with water but how much of a pain is it to add plants to the diy substrate after it is filled with water and has fish in it? Will it make the tank water extra dirty?
4. Where would I get the red clay? That's the only one I couldn't find when I looked them up online.

Thanks! I think that's it for now :thanks:
Becky

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds pretty complicated but should work out fine. I wouldn't bother with the kitty litter or laterite since it's kind of redundant with the red clay in there already, unless you just need it for bulk.

Is there any reason for the layering? The roots are going to make their way to where they need to be.

As far as comparing it to prepackaged substrates, it's kind of apples and oranges. Most shelf substrates don't really have the nutrients in them that dirt has. The ones that do, like aquasoil, have the benefit of being much easier to work with and look nice, no cap required. Maybe not as nutrient dense as dirt, but the positives far outweigh that negative IMO.

Dirt is fun to work with, though, and I've toyed around with a few different recipes myself.

It shouldn't be too hard to plant in even if the tank is already up and running, just use a substantial cap to avoid having dirt come up while you are messing around.

As far as finding clay goes, a local pottery supply place may be the best bet. Some craft stores will also carry amaco mexican pottery clay, which is wet, but does the job.

Thanks! I really can't tell you the reason for the layering. It didn't go that in depth and it was an old post so I didn't ask any questions...

My brain is kinda scattered with this so sorry in advance for all these questions haha ....but if I add the fertilizers to the layers, how long will they last? will I still have to use root tabs? Seems like a pain to find the clay....maybe I can scrap the red clay and keep the 100% clay kitty litter? I am open to ideas for simpler mixtures, as well! lol

It's hard to say with the ferts, it just depends on how fast the plants use them. But in a typical low light situation you should get at least a year out of them. If you notice the plants slacking later down the road, throw in a few root tabs and see what happens.

I definitely think you can skip the clay. I order it in powder form online but it's really only justified if you are ordering a lot at a time. The potting mix will have some clay in it already, and the addition of kitty litter is a good alternative.

I like the rest of your recipe, dolomite is good, the peat is not a bad idea either. Maybe consider adding some kelp to the mix if you can get your hands on some. If not, another source rich in potassium would be a good idea.

OK, Thanks! I was looking into potassium and the only thing I found so far was bat guano :) haha, wonder how the fish would like that! Guess I will keep looking!

Back
Top Bottom