Which light is the best option?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJ29DJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm currently interested in buying a new light fixture for my tank. My tank is a 48" x 12" x 16", 55 gallon aquarium. I'm looking at three different LED fixtures, all by Beamswork.

One is 11 W, 900 Lumen with 162 10,000K LEDs and 12 Actinic 460nm LEDs (174 LEDs total, .06 W LED bulbs).

Another is 1810 Lumen with 162 10,000K LEDs and 12 Actinic 460nm LEDs (174 LEDs total, .1 W LED bulbs).

Lastly is a 38 W, 3100 Lumen with 156 10,000K LEDs and 12 Actinic 460nm LEDs (168 LEDs total, .2 W LED bulbs).

I know Lumens and Watts aren't the most effective way to tell a light's quality and that the non-marketed PAR is the better indicator. However, with these numbers and units, what would you suppose would be my best choice? I'm looking for a fixture that lights up the whole tank and makes it look vibrant without being too bright for the fish or myself to look at. My tank has freshwater fish, no live plants. Thanks in advance!

The lights mentioned above are for sw tanks. Not that you cant use em in fw, but why spend the extra $$.
Look for "daylight" fixtures, no need for the blue spectrum, unless that's what you're looking for.
I myself got a 48" truelumen pro 8000k strip, and the light is great and the shimmer effect is awesome. If you do want the blues, go with the marine fusion strip.
Of course other members can recommend other fixtures like the marineland double bright or the Taotronics, but I don't have any experience with those.

Well the site lists the light fixtures as freshwater. I know Beamswork are mostly involved with saltwater lighting but they do do some fresh as well. I'm interested in the blue lighting, yes. I like the look of the blue with the white during the day. I have a friend who has a Beamswork for his saltwater tank and it looks wonderful so I was really interested in sticking with Beamswork. I will have to check out the options you listed as well. Thanks for the input! Appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom