which nitrate test to believe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazycat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i now have 2 brands of nitrate test kits.

the old kit that i've been using since the tank was set up is tetratest--it goes increments of 0, 12.5, 25, 50, 100.

my test results always hover between 12.5 and ~20ppm. today they read a clear 12.5ppm

i just got the ap test (for comparison) and my results are totally different. the ap test says my nitrate levels are 5ppm--which is too low for my tank.

which test should i believe? does anyone have any experience with which one is more accurate? i may have been underdosing nitrates, but i don't want to overdose them either. i'm certainly not getting any sign of nitrate deficiency.

what do i do?

From my experience, the AP test has never failed me. I've never used the Tetra kit but just the results chart alone gives me a problem. 0 to 12.5 is just a little to far for an accurate reading.

When using the AP test, make ure you shake the heck out of bottle 2 for 30 seconds after you add bottle 1, then add it right away or it will read very low.

ok--good to know.

the tetratest has 3 bottles of reagent and a small vial of zinc that gets added. it always semmed more "scientific". that's why i've been using it. butif everyone says the ap one is fine, as long as i shake it--and i shake the actual reagent bottle before i add it?--then i'll continue with the ap test.

just added no3--hope i didn't overdose... 8O

Honestly anything made by Tetra, including thier filters, are in my opinion not of the greatest quality. The best test on the market I think is the Red Sea Freshwater lab. I know red sea tests are very accurate and easy to use.

the tetratest has 3 bottles of reagent and a small vial of zinc that gets added. it

Yup, that would be the same as the old one I had, (different brand), and it turns different shades of pink. according to it, my nitrates were @ 0, picked up the AP one and found out my nitrates were off the charts (even after a 50% PWC)..

they are now reading a stable 10 (unless I dose nitrate)..

mine was made by Marine Enterprises,

I had a Hagen/nutrafin NO3 test like that Wiz...3 bottles. It never gave me very good results, but the AP kit has been consistent for me, and I've even compared it to a Seachem kit and got within 1ppm. Seachem's is a nitrogen kit, so you multiply the result by 4.4, so you get different ranges than the 0, 5, 10, 20 on the AP...hence why it might be a little more accurate to the ppm...but we don't need to be that precise really.
As long as you know its 5ppm and not 50ppm, you're good :)

Back
Top Bottom