Which of the 2 is causing this algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Siphon it off if it will come, otherwise ignore it and it should go away. Reduce the carbon dosing though, that's what set it off IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is from reefkeeping magazine on the issue.
Watch for bacterial blooms in the tank water. If this occurs at an unacceptable level, cut the dose back and increase filtering. Such blooms are really only a problem from the aesthetic standpoint (and possible O2 reduction). The suspended bacterial might actually be good food for many of our tank organisms, and many people seem to believe that their tank populations of sponges increase when dosing organic carbon. The acetate in vinegar can be taken up by many higher organisms, including the zoox in corals and anemones. So very high doses can lead to browning of corals and anemones through increased zoox populations. If that happens, a dose reduction is recommended.

Well it's been a while since I stopped the Microbacter7, done several water changes, added carbon, phosguard and it's still there and spreading. I noticed with the lights off the places where the white hairy "slime" is, there are brown or real dark patches. Any ideas?

It comes off VERY easy. But in 2 days it comes back and seems to spread to other rocks...

Back
Top Bottom