Which poop is healthy poop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My ryukins poop is a clear color. I don't think it's supposed to be clear. Any ideas how to treat this?

Normally clear poop is unhealthy. Clear poop usually means that the fish is either stressed, sick, or has a poor diet. What are you feeding it? Have you tested your water? Is your tank cycled?

Healthy poop usually has color (mainly brown, red, orange, but it can depend on what you're feeding them).

Tank is 55 gallons, feed lfs special food, ammonia is zero, nitrites is almost 0, ph is a little high like 7.8.

Nitrates? Any trace of nitrites is deadly

I wouldn't say any trace at all is deadly- there are likely traces in it all the time without our knowing. Like ammonia, its toxicity increases with its quantity.

Should I just do a water exchange? There is a lot of poop and I read that's what causes it?

A good water change with a gravel vac to clean up debris. You may need to do wcs for a few days in row until you get the nitrates under control.

Try some hardy plants (anubias, swords, etc) or some fast growing plants that can outgrow your goldies appetites if you don't have them trained to eat daily veggies. Wisteria, hornwort, water sprite or something floating such as water lettuce. Plants may help a bit but I think your going to need to stick to a hefty water change schedule regardless.

I checked the nitrates about 2 hours after the water change and its very low like 12.5 mg

Back
Top Bottom