Which shrimp to get???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsFreshwater

Aquarium Advice Regular
I really like the scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp but they are marine based. I want to know if there is any similar looking shrimp that are freshwater I have 3 angelfish in a 15 gallon tank. Any advice on which shrimp to get???

I'm really sorry but 15g isn't enough for 3 Angels.

How long have you had the angels?

I wouldn't be looking to add anything else to the tank as it stands.

Do you have any plans to upgrade ?

Jon

My tank is second hand from one of my friends she's had them for atleast 4 years so it obviously is fine.

Just because someone else had them before you doesn't mean they had the correct size tank for them.

How big are they?

Angels once fully grown can reach dinner plate size.

My LFS has a school of 6 in a 500 litre tank.

Someone else will let you know about size recommendations for Angels.

I think a breeding pair can be kept in a 30g which is about 125litres.

Like I said though red cherry shrimp are similar to that you are looking for.

I was just trying to give you some helpful advice about the angels.

Jon

The angels are about 1 inch and have plenty of room to swim around in. I will upgrade eventually but I need to put some money together because I'm not very rich :D

Woah!!! Okay I know this wasn't your question, but 3 angels in a 15 gallon tank!?!?

Red cherry shrimps are great additions to any tank! They are sensitive though. I have 3 in a 30g and they're so cute >.< they. Have lots of shrimp lets though! About the angel thing they are stunted most likely. In four years they shroud be fully grown. If I remember correctly that about 4-5x the size they are now. I would do that many in a 40-50 gallon tank.good call on moving them when you have the money, but stunting will cause a early death and they won't grow to their potential.

Are these angels so stunted that they cant eat shrimp? Because its sounds like shrimp would be an early meal

RCS would most likely be hunted to extinction in that tank by the angels.

As an aside, Crystal Red shrimp look similar, but are much more fragile and also would be hunted.

tropicalmackdaddy said:
Are these angels so stunted that they cant eat shrimp? Because its sounds like shrimp would be an early meal

Oh no, those shrimps would be breakfast lunch and dinner. Only thing that would save RCS from Angels would be lots and lots of hiding places.

Not to beat a dead horse; but a 15g or so is too small for 1 Angel, let alone 4. It would be best, of possible, to rehome them. If not, don't expect them to have their full lifespan although 4 years in that condition is impressive!

Happy Fishkeeping

Look your all having a go because I've had 3 angel fish in this tank ****ing hell. They are second hand I didn't pick 3 angels did i. They have loads of room to swim around in for god sakes! It's a clean environment and I haven't got enough enough money too get a bigger tank. Flippen heck I asked for advice and I thank the few people that actually answered my question instead of having a go.

About the size thing I think she's had them for 4 years but because i got them second hand I haven't got a clue and the smallest is about 1.5 inches and the other are more like 2

Well you could rehome them. As for tank size its obvious now that your way over stocked granted you got it second hand. So I'd focus on saving up and get a much larger tank or give the angels to someone else then get shrimp. Shrimp would not be the best company for angels at least from the current setup

MrsFreshwater said:
Look your all having a go because I've had 3 angel fish in this tank ****ing hell. They are second hand I didn't pick 3 angels did i. They have loads of room to swim around in for god sakes! It's a clean environment and I haven't got enough enough money too get a bigger tank. Flippen heck I asked for advice and I thank the few people that actually answered my question instead of having a go.

We are trying to help you. If you rehomed your angels, you could get shrimp, or other fish that fit your tank size. You dont have to do anything, were just trying to give advice so your fish can live a longer happier life

MrsFreshwater said:

I am sorry you feel that way. I think a lot of what happens is people read your original post and respond without seeing that plenty of people have responded in regards to the Angels.

We realize that you didn't pick the Angels and you were being a great person by taking the fish in. We were merely giving you advice on the future for the fish. I hope that they live a long, happy life under your care.

As far as shrimp go, any colorful shrimp tend to be very small and would quickly become food for the Angels. Most people set up a dedicated tank to them just because it isn't easy to keep them with larger tank mates. Larger shrimp such as Amano and Bamboo could live with the Angels without fear of being eaten. But again it comes back to the issue of being overstocked with the Angels alone.

I'm not rehousing the angelfish! I live in Cyprus a place were if they see dogs or cats or anything on the road they don't swerve out the way!!! The fish won't even last 2 days anywhere else not to be racist or anything I know not all cypriots are like this but the majority don't look after their pets

Back
Top Bottom