Which turtle woukd be best fir a 36 gal tank .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camogirl28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 36 gal tank full of water with fish but my fish supply is getting small so I was thinking if draining it half way leaving a few fish . Which turtle would be able to live in there with like platys guppies plecostomus etc . And can fiddler crabs live with turtles . Also what level of hardness are turtles and should I do a fully aquatic turtle or one that needs land too ?

* FOR sorry

Only put one male Mississippi map turtle or a musk turtle. No fish, no crabs. You might get away with bristlenose pleco and some shrimp. Water will be hard because of calcium supplements you will be using; also from any rocks you put in because minerals dissolve from the water.

What about a African aquatic side neck turtle or a painted turtle or a red eared slider because at my nearest store they don't carry them

All those you listed will get way to big for a 36 gallon. For those you need at least 120 gallon tank just for one turtle. Male maps get around 5in shell length, the ones in my video are about 2inches. Musk turtles get about 4in.

Go to petsmart or petco and look ant the rut turtles on their websites would any of them work

They usually carry sliders, red-ear n yellow bellied, mostly yellow bellied. They would be alright for the first couple years but then you need a 120g.

My boyfriend got a Mud Turtle from Turtlesource for his 20 gallon. The males only grow to 3" long and females only get a little bigger. He considered a musk turtle and a southern painted turtle too for it. :)

Back
Top Bottom