While I'm away..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have three guppies and a mystery snail living quite happily in a tank. I'm going away for two weeks in the near future, and I'd love suggestions as to how I can keep them happy during this time. Will they be affected if they don't have their light turned on and off each day? Can I have someone drop by once to give them one of those time release food tablets? Or do I need someone to come in each day to care for them? TIA for a advice/suggestions!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

For the lights buy a cheap timer, you should have one of these in the first place. On the note of water quality i would do a bunch of 50% wc before hand so the water is as clean as possible before you leave. For feeding you can get an auto-feeder or there are some DIY ones on youtube. Or you can have someone stop by and feed every day or 2.

I agree with the above except for the need to consistently feed. If you condition the fish they should be good with one feeding midway through your trip. It actually will allow the tank's natural eco system to catch up and balance.

The light, keep in mind if you have live plants the light is a must. If not a short period 4-6 hours daily is the best option. The dark will make the fish less active and slow their digestion and fat consumption. -NO DISSOLVING FOOD TABS-YUCK!

Awesome. Thanks guys. I figured those food pucks would be no good, but was hopeful as they're such an easy solution :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Your guppies will be fine without light. Have someone feed them once or twice only while you're gone, no need to feed them daily.
Enjoy your trip!

If you would like to keep the guppies really happy then get someone to come round in the morning too feed them and turn the light on and for that someone to come back at night and maybe feed them again (depending on how offer you feed your guppies) and turn the light back off. Or as first suggested you could get a timer and get someone to come round and feed your fish once per day. I hope this helped! ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you feed often and have healthy fish then turn the lights/heater off and your guppies will be fine when you return. Lights for power/algae, lower temperature will slow down their metabolism so they'll definitely make it through two weeks. Have someone feed them once if you're really concerned.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wouldn't recommend turning a tropical tank heater off for two weeks...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Guppies are sub tropical and are comfortable in water down to the mid 60s. Assuming his house is heated and the thermostat is set at 65-68 for vacation they'll be peachy.

Ahh, I actually wasn't aware they could tolerate temps that low. Interesting. Learn something new everyday.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yepp. Same for Platys. Mollies like it a little warmers, but they're not far off in their "ideal" range.

Back
Top Bottom