White Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savage

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey All- I've done some reading here and on some sights that came up when I googled this. I added a piece of mopani driftwood to my 55g FW and there is what looks like a white algae growing on the wood.

I've read a few times that this is normal for new driftwood (especially mopani), and that it will either go away on its own or the algae-eaters will take care of it. I also read that snails will help. I'd planned on adding a couple anyway, because I wanted my tank to adjust before I added a pleco. Since I've recently added other fish and plants.

Anyhow, I'm curious what people thoughts are on this. I'll try to get a pic to add. BTW, none of my cuurent stock is algae eaters, and my cory's don't seem interested at all, contrary to what I've read some places.

Thanks for any input!

Also, I boiled that wood for 6-8 hrs, changing the water everytime it got too brown. The water was slightly tinted when I quit boiling, and no color has been leached into the tank.

It's harmless and will go away on it's own in a week or so. If it's bothering you, you can just scrape it off yourself.

Back
Top Bottom