White Beard or Velvet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6eteeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I picked up this yellow angelfish two weeks ago. This is my first tank and of course didn't understand the importance of a quaratine tank until now. I have LS and LR w/ Penguine 350 and Remora skimmer. Temp 76, pH 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 20ppm. I have a small maroon clown and a rose bubble tip.

It looks like he is growing a white beard. He also has another spot on his bottom fin. He doesn't appear to have any other spots. He acts perfectly normal. Eats great, just not sure what is going on? Maybe marine velvet?

Click on the pictures to enlarge, thank you!

The one on the mouth about a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think that if it was velvet he would've died by now. Maybe something fungal??

Maybe lymphocystis?

I'll try and see if I can find some better pictures. The fish is still acting fine and eating great.

Woke up this morning and my yellow angelfish has white spots all over him. Guess it's ick... Now my question is since I only have him and my maroon clown do I quarantine and treat both fish or just the angel?

Do both and let you DT run fallow, if I'm remembering correctly, for 6-8 weeks. After my wipeout My tank was empty for about 12 weeks

Is there a guide you recommend for quarantine tanks? Should I mix new salt water or just tank from the DT?

And just leave my hermit and anemone in the DT?

Sweet thank you very much! I will set up the quaratine tank tonight when I get home. I just use the water from my DT and then keep up on water changes? Is there anyway to get around constant water changes?

Well as I was setting up my quarantine tank the angelfish passed. Now in my tank I only have a maroon clown, rose bubble tip, and a large hermit crab. Since I only have 1 fish should I just leave him in my DT for 6 weeks alone and see if he shows any sign of sickness before adding more fish?

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I would go ahead and put the maroon in the QT and watch him there. That way you can start treating right away should he show signs of sickness

Back
Top Bottom