White bugs round rim of tank and filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mishyc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I’ve had my tank for just over a year and have only just got this problem! I don’t have any live plants either. I googled them and it seems they appear wherever there is damp, we’ll there is always going to be water in the aquarium so how do I get rid of them, some have fell in to the water, will they harm the fish? I have neon and cardinal tetras

This issue comes up every once in a while. I think your bugs are called "Springtails". I'm not sure how to eradicate them, other than keeping the upper rim of the tank dry. I don't believe springtails hang around for long. They are seasonal.

The camera won’t focus on them! ☹️ when I googled them, it said they are bugs that will appear when there is damp , like a burst water pipe for example and will go when the damp goes. That’s the only thing I think I can do v227, but as the weather gets colder, I get more moisture on the condensation tray in between the tank and the lid.

I think V nailed it. Looks like potassium salts of fatty acids are used to kill them. It seems to be of low toxicity to fish, high toxicity to invertebrates. I read of one person using it in a spray bottle around the rim of their tank and it killed them. They also did a large water change after the bugs were killed.

Back
Top Bottom