White Cheek Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

110gTj

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello guys I just got a white cheek tang and he is eating great, colors are great, but he seems to sometimes look like he dives to the sand to stir it up, almost like he is trying to scratch himself as if he has an itch. Is this normal.

No, doesn't sound normal at all. Did you quarantine the fish before adding it to your tank? And exactly which species do you have? There are 2 tangs called white face or white cheek, a.nigricans and a.japonicus, and neither are very hardy.

A. nigricans &A.japonicus

My yellow does something like that when he's begging for food.. He'll come screaming along the bottom, turn sideways and glide along the sand (stirring it up in a storm) then sweep upward and stop mid tank.. Staring out the front.. as if begging. Always left to right (which makes a mess because the overflow is in the other corner). He also seems to enjoy nudging the snails buried in the sand.

In the end he's a pia... doesn't bully anyone else.. just always buzzing around everyone being a nudge.

I did quarantine the fish and he is a white cheek. He has just a little white dash under both eyes. Now that I think of it though. When I got him at the store he was doing it as well, and the yellow tang in the display tank at the store (300 g reef) did the same sort of thing. I just didnt know what it mean. When he is not eating he is fine and does not do it.

I'll do my best to get some pics and video tomorrow of it.

this is what he does..eats very well..stopped the "scratching" in the sand thing a little though. relaxes when its dark but plays when lights are on like this. sorry about the bad pic..i tried to post a video but dont know how

Attachments

• SDC11168.jpg
    SDC11168.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 142
Back
Top Bottom