White film like on fingerling koi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khoifish89

Aquarium Advice Freak
As of today, April 15, about 30 fingerling kois have died. I have notice that there is this white film like on my kois. The one that died seem to have bend tail upward. Can anyone help me.

help

It may be a good idea to take them to a vet to identify the bacteria. Improve water quality and feed Medicared feed containing oxytetracycline and I guarentee you they will be okay. This is an old standby in the fish farm industry. But you must lower the ammonia and feed 3x a day for ten days. No problem.(y)

Okay, I finally got a chance to take a picture of a koi dead. I have notice that every koi that died look like this. This goes for my current fingerlings koi some of other bigger koi. When they die the look like this as well too. Bend body. Why does this happened? What is condition call and how I can prevent this from happening.

Attachments

• DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 73
Where are you keeping them? Parameters? Where they properly quarantined for a few months with zero contact/cross contamination (such as water changer or your hands) with any other fish? Are all the new fish becoming ill and dying in this manner? Did they all come from one source? Your older fish are being infected and dying in the same manner now as well? Are those missing scales or sores or black spots? Some more info will help!

Where are you keeping them? They are being kept in an above ground pond. The link is where I am keeping them.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f135/diy-above-ground-koi-pond-235516.html
Parameters? Ammonia .25 ppm, Nitrate 0ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm
Where they properly quarantined for a few months with zero contact/cross contamination (such as water changer or your hands) with any other fish? I did not quarantined the fish because they all came from the same source
Are all the new fish becoming ill and dying in this manner? I really do not know because all the new fish were mix together with the old one.
Did they all come from one source? Yes
Your older fish are being infected and dying in the same manner now as well? My older were from a different source and they are being keep in another pond. But they died in somewhat similar condition with bend body.
Are those missing scales or sores or black spots? Some more info will help! There are no missing scale, sore, or black spots

It could be toxin poisoning (or another chemical) but I am suspicious that your new fish (that were not properly quarantined) brought a very serious disease with them. I honestly would consider seeking the aid of an aquatic vet to specifically ID what you are dealing with.

i live very close to a lfs, and the owner and i know each other for very long time. i describe him the current situation. he told me that it is ammonia level too high. beside doing a water change is there anything i can do to lower the ammonia level. i am also thinking that somehow my beneficial bacteria is somehow out of wack. what is the best way to replenish the bacteria level. i do not know have not any spare tank.

High ammonia can cause damage to the slime coat and a white film as well as fish demise but I am very suspect that there is another even more serious issue at hand because they are dying with contorted spines. Ammonia can only be reduced/removed with water changes. Pond Prime will help to detox any free ammonia up to 1ppm. Once again, I strongly suggest seeking the aid of an aquatic vet to ID what you are specifically dealing with. He/she can do a necropsy as well as lab work for a specific identification.

Heres a partial listing- I am not very familiar with CA and theres likely alot more but it will get you started. Many aquatic vets make house calls, too. You may want to start with UCDavis vet school. Even if they do not specifically see fish, they should be able to offer recommendations for vets in your area. You will need to google/contact them to see if the numbers are current and if they are still in practice.

Dr/city/number:

Dr Yen berkley 510-549-1252
Dr Willett davis 530-758-1484
Dr Weber/UCDavis vet school 530-752-1393
Dr Virgo bakersfield 661-339-6406
Dr Szignarowitz rescue 916-310-0962
Dr Stone los gatos 408-353-8164
Dr Ridegway long beach 562-434-9966
Dr Jenkins san diego 619-260-1412
Dr Hildreth marietta 951-696-9501/714-393-5116
Dr Cecil san diego 619-546-0777
Dr Zambrano stanton 714-254-9974