white film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruha101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an old tank that my grandfather gave to me and I would really like to set it up... However it had white film on the outside of the tank and it will not come of with any cleaning supplies/vinegar... the used well water in the tank before he gave it to me so I would assume its lime or something like that any suggestions as to what will take this off that will not harm the fishor plants? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Glass tank? Give a light rubbing with a razor blade a go and see if that'll scrape it off. (don't do this if it's acrylic)

Yes it is glass and I tried a razor blade as well it did remove some of it but it will not come off.... its really on there good. My grandfather had it set up for years and I don't believe he ever cleaned the outside on the back so I have no idea how long its been on there but the razor blade didn't work either

Could it be some kind of (at one time) clear adhesive used to stick a background? If so you might want to consider a product like goo gone as long as you make sure to use it on the outside of the tank only.

Back
Top Bottom