White patches on Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been having an issue with one of my platys. Over the past several months, its been having an issue with white patches on its body. I've been googling around, and still cant find the issue. This is Definitely not an Ick infestation, I've fought ick twice in my tank (this platy survived both times).

The Platy still eats, plays with its platy-friends, runs away from the Gourami when it decided to be a bully, and has given birth at least once. the only strange thing is, during the late afternoon about an hour or so before i shut off the light, it gets lethargic and sits behind the driftwood on the floor. It will react when i tap on the glass. Other than that, I don't see any Symtpoms.

Heres the best picture I could get. (the one on the right of course).

sickplaty2.jpg

The fish is also starting to display some clamped fins on occasion, not all of the time, but some of the time. it dosnt seem to be moving around much either.

it's hard to tell from the picture but it looks fine to me. could it be just a change in color? some of my fish have had color changes but they aren't sick. i would just do some watchful waiting. as far as laying on the bottom of the tank almost all my fish relax like that in the evening. they like to lay under the plants and take it easy. nothing wrong with that behavior. it's eating, playing and in general sounds like it's fine. :)

Thing that has me worried is that Platy didint have the White scales when I got it, and now it does. I guess if its eating and playing, everything should be fine.

Ziggs180 said:
I've been having an issue with one of my platys. Over the past several months, its been having an issue with white patches on its body. I've been googling around, and still cant find the issue. This is Definitely not an Ick infestation, I've fought ick twice in my tank (this platy survived both times).

The Platy still eats, plays with its platy-friends, runs away from the Gourami when it decided to be a bully, and has given birth at least once. the only strange thing is, during the late afternoon about an hour or so before i shut off the light, it gets lethargic and sits behind the driftwood on the floor. It will react when i tap on the glass. Other than that, I don't see any Symtpoms.

Heres the best picture I could get. (the one on the right of course).

I've had the same thing on some of my fmale Platys before but it usually oes away in a couple of days. I finally found out the spots were due to my males.

Back
Top Bottom