White Puffball on Betta's gill?? Pictures and Video Included

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dkpate, phrozian, jeremyblevins:
I hope I got it all right. Please add or edit as necessary.

Hi Libbyb, yup you got it right. Just one thing I would add, water should be left for about an hour or so after adding the chlorine and chloramine remover before putting the water back into the tank. But that's just me being overprotective of my fish.

I siphon my tank (sink hookup one) put the dechlor in and immediately start filling it back up. Never had any problems. I match my water temp EXACTLY, which is hard to do if you leave your bucket sitting out.

Help!

Victor's first white spot went away, but now he has a 2nd one on the other side of his face in the same place the first one was! And now he has a pinhole in his tail!!! :(:(:(

Haha, I'm typing a paper as we speak! ;)

The pinhole and new spot have me worried though, I've been doing partial water changes everyday, changed most of the water today (not all! just most and did not rinse the plants or gravel), and added aquarium salt.

He's not moving as much as he usually does either.... Will I need to invest in meds if he doesn't improve in the next couple of days?

Sorry, I just want keep him from getting worse... I know you all must think I'm crazy by now.

You are simply being a great fish keeper, and there's nothing wrong with that :)
The white spots won't go away so quickly, especially if the treatment has just started not long ago. From the sound of it, it's definitely some form of fungus... A few months ago, some of my fishes were afflicted with that as well and I was too hasty in medicating them. Ended up stressing them all out, which wasn't worth it.

Keep up with the water changes, and remember to maintain the tank water's salinity. It's usually a great defense against fungi.

Keep up the good work!

Ok, I'll keep doing partial water changes and adding salt. Patience never was my thing... I just worry about the little guy, that's all!

Should I take Victor home over fall break? I'll be gone for 4 days, and that's a lot of missed water changes... And no one will be able to watch his fungus either...

I would take him with you. Get a tupperware or something to transport him in (I used 1 gallon ice cream conatiners when I moved) and put him in there, not the tank. Make sure you acclimate him to your water at your house too before you put him back in the tank.
The pinhole will be fine as long as you keep the water clean. It should go away, since it's just a mild case of fin rot. My bettas all got them about 2 weeks after getting them home, but they have all gone away and the fish are doing fantastic now. :)

I know it's been a REALLY long time, but I just thought I would update! Victor is healthy and beautiful once again, my little buddy is doing great!! Thanks for all of the wonderful advice! :)

Back
Top Bottom