White slime on wall opposite filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jed Fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been running just over a month, and about three 1/2 weeks ago, I noticed my decorations, heater, theremometer and filter all were slimy to touch, and I could see weird fuzzy fluffy white stuff gathering in corners of toys. It is still there now.

A week ago, I noticed on the wall of the tank opposite my filter, there is very strange white slime growing, it seems to move slightly as the water comes from the filter and touches it. Its very easy to remove, I simply touched it and it left a finger print shape of clean glass, but I would love to know what it is?!

Its not green, and I dont have a light yet for my tank. The tank is not in direct sunlight. I have 6 neon tetras and the tank is 70 liters. Ammonia is 0.25ppm, nitrite is 0ppm & nitrate is 5ppm. In the first few weeks, I used a lot of the Nutrafin Cycle to help the cycle get started. When I do a 25% water change (once weekly) I notice a huge amount of white delicate stuff comes out of my filter, even though I don't go near the filter. It floats around in the water until I refill the tank and turn the filter back on. It seems to be the same weird white fuzzy fluffy stuff that sits in the corner of toys.

Very strange!! Do you know what all this is? I will try & post a pic later today

Very interesting, it sounds like cyanobacteria but that doesn't fit because if it was white it wouldn't be able to survive off of light. I guess the only thing it could really be is a bacterial film. Could you post a picture of it?

I have this same issue! My tank is also new.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did u use Eco Complete as substrate? I got that same stuff from a bad bag of Eco. ( I've tore my tank apart 2x now and will never use Eco complete again)

BTW. Shake everything and do 90% WC every couple of days. You might get lucky and get it in check.

Did u use Eco Complete as substrate? I got that same stuff from a bad bag of Eco. ( I've tore my tank apart 2x now and will never use Eco complete again)

BTW. Shake everything and do 90% WC every couple of days. You might get lucky and get it in check.

Correlation does not equal causation. It's highly unlikely that eco complete had anything to do with it.

I get the same kind of thing on the wall opposite of my filter. It almost looks like delicate white fluff that kind of shakes in the current like it's attached to a hair that is glued to the glass. I used a "bacteria in a bottle" solution at the beginning as well. I think it's just a bio-film created by some of the bacteria. Although I don't have it as extensively as you do. I've never seen it come out of my filter or anything. I only see on the glass it if I really look for it. My tank has been running for a few months now. I've yet to have it cause any problems.

Back
Top Bottom