White spots in water and on fish- HELP please !?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PuppaG

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I have had this tank for around 3 weeks, and have only just noticed these small white specks floating around the tanks and attaching to my neon tetras. Is this anything to worry about ?

Attachments

• 0695CEF0-9E9F-4699-95B0-E45B4A4BA90B.jpg
    0695CEF0-9E9F-4699-95B0-E45B4A4BA90B.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 0DF2C7EF-5ECC-4C5B-8B9F-540935B7F6A0.jpg
    0DF2C7EF-5ECC-4C5B-8B9F-540935B7F6A0.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 24
Hello, I have had this tank for around 3 weeks, and have only just noticed these small white specks floating around the tanks and attaching to my neon tetras. Is this anything to worry about ?

I've never seen an Ich infection demonstrate a lot of white spots floating around but if they are attaching to the neons, it could possibly be Ich, which is not unusual for a new tank, especially if not cycled. I'd raise the water temperature a few degrees, vacuum the gravel/bottom and get some anti-ich medication right away.

Okay then , I have just nipped out and bought some treatment and raised the temp, and cleaned the bottom as you have suggested. Hopefully this is will work. Thank you !

Definitely seems odd that you’ve got white specs floating around. I had an ich infestation in my 29g comet tank (was to be expected, they’re comets lol) and although a lot of them were covered with quite a lot of spots I never did see any floating around or on the substrate.

Keep in mind, if you’re using an ich treatment you’ll want to remove any decorations and whatever else you don’t want to turn blue! I left my air line in the tank purposely though. The blue staining on the line actually looks better than the clear in my opinion!

Whatever decorations you do remove, clean them thoroughly and make sure they’re rinsed extremely well to reduce the risk of reintroducing the parasite to the tank

Definitely seems odd that you’ve got white specs floating around. I had an ich infestation in my 29g comet tank (was to be expected, they’re comets lol) and although a lot of them were covered with quite a lot of spots I never did see any floating around or on the substrate.

Keep in mind, if you’re using an ich treatment you’ll want to remove any decorations and whatever else you don’t want to turn blue! I left my air line in the tank purposely though. The blue staining on the line actually looks better than the clear in my opinion!

Whatever decorations you do remove, clean them thoroughly and make sure they’re rinsed extremely well to reduce the risk of reintroducing the parasite to the tank

Thank you ! It’s only around 10 gallons so i think maybe that’s why there are lots of white specks?? I’m not too sure , I’m new to keeping fish you see. Also do you think there’s a chance it could be copepods? As apparently they’re not harmful, but also they don’t seem to attach themselves to fish, so maybe it isn’t them.

Back
Top Bottom