White stuff on driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimkat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After my malaysian driftwood caused a PH crash in my 3 gallon I ended up taking it out and putting it into a ziplock bag. I ended up forgetting about it for about a month and a half.It looks like there was a little bit of water still left in the bag from when I took the driftwood out of the tank...so it didn't dry 100%.

The white stuff isn't fuzzy at all but more like a kind of really, really thin film all over the wood with white lines in some areas (it almost looks like a bunch of white strings). If I rub it off lightly, the white film comes off and it looks like new.

Is it possible to use this piece of wood again? I would like to properly leach the tannins out to eliminate the chances of another PH crash this time.

Be aware depending on the size of the wood it may leach for hours. Some bigger pieces never stop leaching.

When boiling, (at least for me) it smells! I boiled it outside. When the water fills up with tannins dump it out and put new water in.

Caleb

Thank you! I'll try that and report back when i get a pot for the driftwood later.

You can use your spaghetti pot. If it doesn't fit all the way, then flip it over mid way through. Final test is hot tap water in a 5 gallon bucket overnight, if it stays clear you're ready for the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom