White thing jutting off of gill - Rainbow Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Over the past few weeks I noticed that my Rainbow Shark has a maybe 1/2" white thing jutting out of one side, near the gill / front lower fin. At first I thought it was a bone, but now I am wondering if it is a parasite of some kind and how to remedy the situation.

In all other respects he is acting very normal. He is around 6-7" long, fat and happy, and I have had him for longer than I can remember. Is this perhaps a fluke or Gyrodactylus?

I was hoping it would work it self out, but it doesn't seem to be going away. I don't want what ever it is to multiple an effect others in the tank... I can never get a really good look at it, cause he is always zipping around...

Well I was able to get a closer look today and it is definitely NOT in or on the gill... It looks like it is attached at the joint of his lower front fin... Also looks like it is much less bright and white than in the past... perhaps it is dying?

Is he eating normally and maintaining his weight? If it was a parasite I would expect weight loss and irregular eating and behaviour. I would keep a close eye on it and monitor his behaviours.

Eating normally, still fat and well colored... No other sign of problem. Before the white thing showed up he was doing a high speed scratch manuver against rocks and wood in the tank. Haven't seen him do that since.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom