white tree growing from rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wapparia

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi could someone please identify this growth I have in my rock.

I have looked around and looked at the links that joy and melou leave and cant seem to find it. It has grown quite quick and looks like a white tree with branches on. There are 2 next to each other on the rock and another not in pictures growing at back.

ForumRunner_20120111_190449.jpg

ForumRunner_20120111_190509.jpg

Hi just been looking at the latest thread on here and I would definitely say it is. Is it a nuisance or nice to have ?

Thanxfor replying

In the first picture in the middle it looks like some type of tube worm. The one does look alike an aiptasia. Have you poked it? If it disappears into the rock then it is an aiptasia. This is my go to guide for hitchhikers Live Rock Hitch Hikers

Than everyone. Last question. It might sound stupid but when people say spray it with lemon juice do you take the rock out of the water or just use a baster and spray it in water.

You use the lemon juice directly on the aiptasia. You just shut the water flow down and inject it. No need to remove the rock.

I had no luck with aptasia x or lemon juice..that just spread my problem..i got two peppermint shrimp and that same day I saw them eating it..over night about 15 of my aptaisa were gone. Completely free of any aptasia right now.

If the rock is small you can take it out and burn it with a lighter. I just shot some of mine up with some lemon juice today. I use a needle that you give dogs shots with. Then I do a small water change afterwards just to be on the safe side. People also use vinegar and very hot water.

IMP the Peppermint Shrimp will find the ones you can't see.

Exactly, time and time again. I have never seen one since adding my my peppermint shrimp. What I have done in the past with really stubborn outbreaks is use Aiptasia x and then Milliput over the effected area a few hours later.

Thanx for the advice. I have borrowed my uncle's flame torch and blew them off. Waited to reply to check if they returned and so far they havent

Back
Top Bottom