Who ate my cardinal tetras????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donttaptheglass

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, This group has been living together in this tank for the last 3 months, at a minimum . . . .can someone look at my stock list and tell me who the most likely candidate is for suddenly eating all 3 of my cardinal tetras? The two with the biggest mouths are the Pictus Cat and the Goby Dragon, but I don't have a clue who to blame this on. They left no evidence . . . no body parts, nothing . . . they're just . . . .GONE.

Oh, and Hi all . . . been crazy busy and haven't been around in a while.

sure they didnt jump out? i dont know if they are jumpers, but its possible i guess. And i'll say it was the cat...i've never seen/had a goby dragon so i dont know about them. but in my tanks, i've had a few cats and stuff like them eat small fish before

My guess is the angelfish. :( Their natural prey in their native habitat are neon tetras. Cardinals may be a bit bigger but if the angels were so inclined, they could eat the cardinals.

oh there's angels? i didnt know, but i still think the cat did it...even tho everyone says that angels eat neons, i've NEVER had that happen, and i've had several different angels with neons with no problems.

My vote is first for the pictus cat. I had one consume 6 neons overnight. Angels are also know to feast on neons and cardinals. Thebluyak, angel fish tend to eat neons and cardinals because they are smaller.

In the wild, an angel fish's food is.....neon tetras, and since your cardinals look a lot a like. They probably got hungry. Wish someone had warned yea about that one.

HTH.

As said above, dependant on the size of the Pictus... then it could very well be him. They can be a nightmare with small fish once they get to a decent size. Although the angels are also a hot candidate.
Either way, I would have placed a LOT of money on your cardinals not dying of old age :)

Pictus.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile70.html

..and a quote from that link:
I have had my pictus cat for over 10 years, and he is thriving well in a 55 gallon tank. I have been able to keep him with a variety of tetras, etc., with the exception of neons of any size - which he eats for dessert, other very small fish and loaches.

I've never seen an angel eat a cardinal. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened though.

A pictus cat of decent size would have no trouble inhaling a small tetra whole. Always hungry and decidedly predatory to anything they can swallow, any small fish is likely to become a meal.

Back
Top Bottom