who can tell me about this slug?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ehabq1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, I'm still new at this and I'd really need someone to adviseme if I can keep this slug in my reef aquarium

ForumRunner_20130909_211208.jpg

ForumRunner_20130909_211227.jpg

I heard that it is bad news as it may poison the water, but I like how it looks in the tank, I would really need your advice.

Best regards
Ehab Qiblawi

Well, technically it's not a sea slug, but a nudibranch (preferable term.) At first glance it appears to be from the genus ceratophyillidia, specifically ceratophyillidia papilligera. From the coloration, it's probably toxic, but normally they have no external glands and are not able to expel the toxin. Most nudibranches get their toxicity from the foods they consume ie. tunicates, ascidians. The coloration is mainly used as a warning to fish not to eat them, as a means of protection from predators.

I had a nembrotha chamberlaini nudibranch for 7 monthes and never once did he/she (all nudibranches are hermaphroditic) expel toxin into the water and "poison" my fish.

Did your nudibranch come in with your live rock or did you purchase him specifically?

Actually I prefer the word slug because it's easier though it is technically wrong, but it didn't complain :lol:
I am a diver and I run into stuff every week when I dive. I get them for free.
So after I had that it might be bad news, I took it back to the sea and let it go, now I'm thinking that it might have been a mistake letting it go because it cleans surfaces from algae, I guess.

Why did you ask the question if you didn't really want a response? I have nothing more to say.

No freshsaltgirl, I respect your response and I really thank you about it. I was just telling you what already happened, and actually I needed someone tree tell me that it is poisonous, and I think you did. really thank you.

Best regards
Ehab.

Back
Top Bottom