Who should I get rid of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those of you who read my previous thread know I'm having some aggression issues. Well to clear things up, I have no idea what happened but now my firemouth is pretty mellow. He's calm now. However, my convict does not get along with my Zebra Obliquidens... She's always chasing him. Not always, but enough IMO. My other stock is this:

2 firemouth
1 keyhole
1 buffalo head
1 jewel
1 convict
1 Zebra Obliquidens
3 GBR
10 cories

It's a 75 gallon with lots of caves/plants/cover. My question is should I get rid of the convict or the Zebra Obliquidens? And could I add anymore cichlids? Something you would suggest?

I personally would get rid of the African, but that's just because I don't like mixing them with Sa cichlids. However removing one cichlid and replacing it with another won't actually fix anything. Their will still be a pecking order and another will become more dominant. Are those firemouths breeding or is he just a big male?

Is the aggressions strictly between the larger cichlids or are the rams/keyholes/chorus getting bullied as well?

I personally would get rid of the African, but that's just because I don't like mixing them with Sa cichlids. However removing one cichlid and replacing it with another won't actually fix anything. Their will still be a pecking order and another will become more dominant. Are those firemouths breeding or is he just a big male?

Is the aggressions strictly between the larger cichlids or are the rams/keyholes/chorus getting bullied as well?

I don't think they are breeding... I could be wrong. And no, the smaller cichlids don't really get messed with.

What do you mean by aggression ? Because many people think that fish chasing each other is aggression unless you see fins torn up I wouldn't be alarm

What do you mean by aggression ? Because many people think that fish chasing each other is aggression unless you see fins torn up I wouldn't be alarm

It is mostly chasing, 95% of the time. However like I stated before, I just recently noticed a chunk of my Zebras tail missing so I got concerned.

I don't think they are breeding... I could be wrong. And no, the smaller cichlids don't really get messed with.

It is mostly chasing, 95% of the time. However like I stated before, I just recently noticed a chunk of my Zebras tail missing so I got concerned.

Keep an eye on them, but most mixed cichlid tanks are like this.

Cichlids will always chase that is cichlids in my opinion, one will chase one then another will chase that and so on, and usually at first or adding fish they do it to sort from big boss if you like down to the weakest along with jaw locking to test strength, once the order is set it is normally just bickering until one grows a bit and fancies challenging for an higher place in the pecking order, i would just enjoy watching and learning from them unless you see any certain one causing serious damage or extreme bullying

Good luck

Thanks guys! I think I'll wait and see what happens. Unless something serious happens of course. I appreciate the words of encouragement! :)

You should add more cichlids and decor like stones cichlids definitely need their own territory one good way to control the aggression is by over stocking you can do 1.5 to 2 cichlids per gallon but keep in mind that they more fishes you have the more maintaining it's going to take but in my opinion that should do and rearrange their set up

But do not get another convict they are extremely protective

Last edited by a moderator:
You should add more cichlids and decor like stones cichlids definitely need their own territory one good way to control the aggression is by over stocking you can do 1.5 to 2 cichlids per gallon but keep in mind that they more fishes you have the more maintaining it's going to take but in my opinion that should do and rearrange their set up

You should not overstock SA cichlids as a way to control aggression, perhaps it would work in an African tank but it won't work here.

I would try 2 or 3 days just to see how the tank is without him just make sure to watch what is happening everyday

For him I would do a 100% wc everyday using tank water

100% water changes are extremely hard on fish as you completely change the water chemistry. I wouldn't do more than 50%.

Also, once those Fire Mouths start breeding, you are likely to loose a lot of those fish, especially the smaller more timid species.

100% water changes are extremely hard on fish as you completely change the water chemistry. I wouldn't do more than 50%.

Also, once those Fire Mouths start breeding, you are likely to loose a lot of those fish, especially the smaller more timid species.

Could you go to my albums and sext them? The last two pictures are the same firemouth. He changes color often. Anyone else please give your opinions too!

I would say at this point they are too small to try and sex.

Also so you know, Central and South American cichlids pair up instead of forming harems, so they don't benefit from overstocking.

I would say at this point they are too small to try and sex.

Also so you know, Central and South American cichlids pair up instead of forming harems, so they don't benefit from overstocking.

Oh don't worry I'm not gonna try to overstock. If anything I'll slowly get rid of my SA cichlids

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom