Why are daphnia cultures so expensive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much is expensive? I have had mine going since 1995, although I started with a wild caught culture. I would think you might find some in your area without buying them. Shortly after ice out they start appearing, even in waters that dry up. You don't need many to stsrt your own culture. Green water really helps.

I mean I was going to go out once it gets warmer and the ice has been thawed for awhile, but I was looking on aquabid, and its like 17$ for 1500. (I guess that may be alot)

They're a lot of work to culture, and 1500 is a lot. At $17 they're charging you for not more than 2 hours labor to grow and package them for you, not even counting cost of materials. If you think that's expensive, buy a culture and sell your own. Capitalism isn't quite abolished yet. I think you'll find that's quite a reasonable price for the amount of work they require though.

I mean, you basically set them outside, and let the culture take off, maybe putting some food in there every now and then, and it seems that 1500 isn't really that many, but maybe proportions are a little off in my head..

Back
Top Bottom