Why are Neon Tetras so hard to keep ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If fish are kept in water too warm for them it shortens their lifespan. I have this issue in one of my tanks. ( i don't have the temp set high or anything. It just retains heat for some reason)

My fish like that temp trying to shoot for 84* but for some reason the heaters on my tank stay at 85* I don't want to lowered to much for me Discus and Gbr love that temp there colors are beautiful. Really don't see any stress even the 4 Neons are looking awesome.

I agree that the temp is high. I have my community tank set to 78 with cardinals and they have been doing great. Tank was running only a week before cardinals went in (used water and media from other tank). Haven't lost one and are very bright and active. They've been in 3 weeks now

If you do lower the temp, do it 1 degree at a time every 2 or 3 days. That will let the fish properly acclimate to the cooler water and not shock them.

Well is a Discus tank and I see neons are kept with Discus. If the temperature is high for them I might go with Cardinals. I will look this up...

Traditionally Cardinals are kept with Discus due to being larger and less of a tidbit and they can handle the higher temps easier.

Neons I tend to keep about 76f.

Its not about stress. Higher temps increase their metabolism essentially speeding up the aging process.

The warmer the water the less oxygen it can hold as well. Don't go above 80 unless treating ich simple as that, it costs more to keep your water that warm too....

The OP has their tank this hot because discus prefer the hot temperatures.

As far as neons- I've had some last for years and survive several moves with no issues at all and some die the day I bring them home. I think it really depends on the batch you get.

The OP has their tank this hot because discus prefer the hot temperatures.

As far as neons- I've had some last for years and survive several moves with no issues at all and some die the day I bring them home. I think it really depends on the batch you get.

I'm thinking the same thing.

I agree with Tracy. 86F is too hot especially since they were probably raised at between 76-80F. Try keeping them at 80F and see if it helps survival rate. OS.

I agree with Tracy. 86F is too hot especially since they were probably raised at between 76-80F. Try keeping them at 80F and see if it helps survival rate. OS.

I might lowered a bit, but I might just go with Cardinals.

Looking at the temp range of discus, maybe try lowering it just a couple degrees to 84? That would still be the acceptable range for them and should help the neons a bit more. Still warm for them but not as bad.

Cardinals will be far more sensitive than neons - I can tell you that from a lot of experience with keeping both.
Really? I have had the opposite experience. Cardinals almost always do better for me, so I simply stopped buying neons (since IMO cardinals are much better looking anyway).

I thought the 86 was a typo. That almost has to be the problem. Three sources say too high temp:

From wiki:
Neon tetra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
are best kept in a densely planted tank with subdued light and an ideal temperature of 21–27°C (70–81°F) to resemble their native Amazon environments.

aqadvisor.com says 68-82.

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Neon Tetra Jumbo
says 68-74F.

For Discuss:
aquadvisor.com says 82 degrees
Wiki is silent
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Green Discus, Symphysodon sp.
says 79-86F.

Thus ...... temperature wise ....... the two fish appear nearly incompatible at anything over about 80F.

I keep my tanks 75-76F. All fish including 8 neons are vibrant, healthy, & unfortunately growing fast !!!!!!!!
AqAdvisor is wrong. 82 is not warm enough for discus. I have a friend who breeds big beautiful discus and I was fortunate enough to volunteer at the North American Discus Association convention in 2012. None of those folks would keep discus at 82 and based on the fish I saw there, I am a believer in their methods. 85-86 is pretty normal for discus actually.

The warmer the water the less oxygen it can hold as well. Don't go above 80 unless treating ich simple as that, it costs more to keep your water that warm too....
80 is not warm enough for discus.

Wow I appreciate every comment here, but what I get from this, is that everybody has there one way of doing things, Is not that someone way is right or wrong, is just what works for you.
My two cents...

I mostly agree with you, it's just that the margin of error that discus can tolerate is lower than for most other fish, lol. 84-87 is standard practice among serious discus hobbyists. :)

I mostly agree with you, it's just that the margin of error that discus can tolerate is lower than for most other fish, lol. 84-87 is standard practice among serious discus hobbyists. :)

True. ..

I have my 10 neon tetras since started 9 month ago they are all in good condition....
Important is NOT overpopulate the tank!!
Less is better

I got 5 about 3 months ago. Now I am down to 1. Not sure where the others went. No bodies. Think the shrimp might of had them.

Tetra neons/cardinalis are easy to keep if you know how... First, temperature is important, and you must QT them ALWAYS !!! They always carry white spots, so buy them, QT them with a bit of aquarium salt and high temperature. After two weeks, put them in your main tank and you won't have any problems.

It's being good no loss so far, the Neons that I have are looking great ! However next time I going to get some Cardinals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom