why cant i keep angels alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flynfrog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Every thing is zeroed out in a 25 lots of plants ph 6.7-6.9 depending on lights

x2 filter co2 injection and ferts regular water changes

i went through 3 early on and blamed it on tank cycling but out of the two i just obught i lost the last on last night.

They have been getting caught on my filter intake but still alive but im thinking other problems led to this

or do i just have dumb angels

Most fish can swim around from filter intakes pretty well. The Angels probably got weakened before and then get caught on the intake.

i understand that ive got 10 or so neons and 6 danios and 3 plecos with no problems

not to mention all of my other tanks im not new at this but an angel virgin (sounds a little dirty)
ive read quite a bit i cant for teh life of me figgure out what the problem is

Make sure you are getting them from a reputable place. Unfortanetly, what you described is sorta common with angelfish. They don't acclimate well. If you can, try and get them from a place that is well known for providing healthy fish. Find out what day they get their shipments and make sure you observe them for a few days at the store before you buy them. Make sure you drip acclimate them for a few hours as well, and don't just dump them in your tank.

It's been my experience that once they pass the test of acclimating to your tank , they are very hardy fish. Just have to get over that hurdle, so to speak.

HTH

I agree with Devilishturtles. Sometimes you just get bad fish from a bad store.
Next time you buy an angelfish, try and get them when they are medium sized (the smaller they are, the more fragile they are). Also watch them for a while and see which ones are active and swimming correctly. If the any of the fish in any of the tanks look pretty bad (especially if they are in the angel tank), I would avoid buying from that store until the tanks look better because the water qualitiy circulating through out all the tanks could be causing unseen stress on the angels.

I have had rather bad luck with them. I got rid of the last one lastnight. Lost 6 Angels due to an unknown viral infection :( only affected the angels too, but I did disose of the entire tanks inhabitants and am removing all the equipment and deco for at least 6 months...a year at leats for the driftoowd :/ (and I really like that peice too)

I hope you can get things figured out man. Losing fish sucks, especially when it is that one kind you want. I have given up on angels for now. They are too pasive for my 75 gallon anyways.

it could acclimation one died right after i put them in
but the others died weeks later
they are coming form a LFS who gets them from a local breeder
i duno i think im done with them for a while

I'll echo the last three replies. Alot of angelfish are so horribly inbred - they are often susceptible to intestinal maladies, swimbladder disorders, and hole-in-the-head disease.Good breeders trade among themselves to introduce healthy genes into their lines.

Don't give up on them too soon! They are really beautiful and interactive fish to own once you can locate a supplier of healthy stock.

Try another lfs or a local aquarium society. You'd be surprised how many local angelfish breeders are out there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom