Why do my fish keep getting sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, found it! Well looks well covered but a puzzle. Catching up.

Are the fish gasping after every water change and anytime you do anything to the tank that stirs up detritus? Is the water change also stirring up detritus? Did the fish die just after detritus had been stirred up? Does the water smell funny at all?

Have you tested the water immediately after you notice the fish gasping?

Liquid carbon/glut degrades after 24hrs or so, if you were getting problems straight after dosing it I could see a link but not seeing it? The fish I lost was pretty much just several hours after over-dosing glut. Possibly there was cumulative damage over that time as I've had other mollies and angels swim through a chemical cloud straight after dosing with no issues (except to the fish keeper). My glut solution is around 5% as well which is double metro I believe.

It does sound something in the water rather than an infection imo.

Hi, found it! Well looks well covered but a puzzle. Catching up.

Are the fish gasping after every water change and anytime you do anything to the tank that stirs up detritus? Is the water change also stirring up detritus? Did the fish die just after detritus had been stirred up? Does the water smell funny at all?

Have you tested the water immediately after you notice the fish gasping?

Liquid carbon/glut degrades after 24hrs or so, if you were getting problems straight after dosing it I could see a link but not seeing it? The fish I lost was pretty much just several hours after over-dosing glut. Possibly there was cumulative damage over that time as I've had other mollies and angels swim through a chemical cloud straight after dosing with no issues (except to the fish keeper). My glut solution is around 5% as well which is double metro I believe.

It does sound something in the water rather than an infection imo.

Yes the gasping happens after a water change or when detritus gets kicked up, but to clarify it's not all the fish, mostly my mature molly, sometimes another molly and a couple of guppies. The rest I'm not seeing any issues. Water does not smell funny. No, no sudden deaths after seeing them gasping. I've lost 2 cories in a couple weeks but didn't know they were even sick. Both got stuck to the filter - I understand that only happens when they are sick anyway as too weak to stay off it. The other death was a neon tetra and actually I euthanized him because I could see he was really sick and I was leaving on vacation for a week :(

I have tested the water during gasping - no problems. I've never seen anything other than 0 amm/0 trites/10 trates since this problem.

Re the glut - I too thought it was gone in 24 hours but on the other forum I'm being told that's not the case. This is what I was told:

"The 12-24 hour thing refers to half life which is different from totally clearing it from the water. For example, if you dose 10 mL of glut then in 12 hours time half of it is gone, leaving you with 5 mL in the water. Another 12 hours later you are left with 2.5, then 1.25, etc. So by dosing every day in such large amounts you are actually building up larger and larger concentrations of glut which is probably why your fish are not handling it well. A side note for using glut - it actually cross links proteins (glues them together and destroys them). This makes it very good at killing life in general. It will also kill off your bacteria if it gets too high which help break it down.

When you dose a lower amount it doesn't build up as fast if at all, and water changes flush out the excess each week."

Yes the gasping happens after a water change or when detritus gets kicked up, but to clarify it's not all the fish, mostly my mature molly, sometimes another molly and a couple of guppies. The rest I'm not seeing any issues. Water does not smell funny. No, no sudden deaths after seeing them gasping. I've lost 2 cories in a couple weeks but didn't know they were even sick. Both got stuck to the filter - I understand that only happens when they are sick anyway as too weak to stay off it. The other death was a neon tetra and actually I euthanized him because I could see he was really sick and I was leaving on vacation for a week :(

I have tested the water during gasping - no problems. I've never seen anything other than 0 amm/0 trites/10 trates since this problem.

Re the glut - I too thought it was gone in 24 hours but on the other forum I'm being told that's not the case. This is what I was told:

"The 12-24 hour thing refers to half life which is different from totally clearing it from the water. For example, if you dose 10 mL of glut then in 12 hours time half of it is gone, leaving you with 5 mL in the water. Another 12 hours later you are left with 2.5, then 1.25, etc. So by dosing every day in such large amounts you are actually building up larger and larger concentrations of glut which is probably why your fish are not handling it well. A side note for using glut - it actually cross links proteins (glues them together and destroys them). This makes it very good at killing life in general. It will also kill off your bacteria if it gets too high which help break it down.

When you dose a lower amount it doesn't build up as fast if at all, and water changes flush out the excess each week."

Could the mollies and guppies just be prowling the surface then? My mollies will do that after a water change.

The cories are odd. Had you increased glut dose rate just before their deaths? Any change to tank?

That's interesting on glut. Thanks for the post. I had that it lasts for 12hrs, then breaks down to a form the plants can use. I probably need help on that if possible to confirm or wrong - anyone? Just reading it seems if I dosed 64ml then:

0 hrs - 64ml
12hr - 32ml remaining
24hr - 16ml left
36hr - 8ml left
48hr - 4ml (2 days, gone after 3 days)

So after 3 days it would be in a very low concentration.

If concerned on the glut dosing though I'd back off on dosing rate for a few weeks and then try again.

Could the mollies and guppies just be prowling the surface then? My mollies will do that after a water change.

The cories are odd. Had you increased glut dose rate just before their deaths? Any change to tank?

That's interesting on glut. Thanks for the post. I had that it lasts for 12hrs, then breaks down to a form the plants can use. I probably need help on that if possible to confirm or wrong - anyone? Just reading it seems if I dosed 64ml then:

0 hrs - 64ml
12hr - 32ml remaining
24hr - 16ml left
36hr - 8ml left
48hr - 4ml (2 days, gone after 3 days)

So after 3 days it would be in a very low concentration.

If concerned on the glut dosing though I'd back off on dosing rate for a few weeks and then try again.

Re the mollies and guppies - yes maybe they are just cruising for food. I hope so. I can't find any other plausible explanation so hopefully that's it which is great as I've been worrying they were hurting! Would be great if they are just looking for food.

Re the cories - yes I'd been increasing glut. I was at 8ml of Excel daily. I switched to metricide and started at 4ml, increased by .5ml a day until I reached 15ml.

I guess I will try scaling back on glut a little and see what happens - the problem is that even with the higher glut I still have algae issues so I fear if I scale back I'll have major algae again. I still have algae and I still have holes in leaves although it's much better than it was before. I did a massive prune, removed the worst leaves and basically just took off the tops of the plants and replanted them all so started over and they are looking a lot better now and growing well. I don't want dead cories but I don't want a tank full of algae again either after all the work I put in to fix it from last time!

Re how long glut lasts I just asked Seachem - I figure they should know! I'll let you know when I get a response on their forum.

That sounds great, I find seachem informative. What sort of algae are you getting? I find glut knocks off BBA but slower effect on GSA or hair algae (or possibly I can't grow algae :(

That sounds great, I find seachem informative. What sort of algae are you getting? I find glut knocks off BBA but slower effect on GSA or hair algae (or possibly I can't grow algae :(

I'm never one to do things half way - I think I have it all! I have BBA, Staghorn, BGA and hair algae. Quite a varied mixture!

I am hoping that soon I'll be able to get pressurized co2 which I'm hoping will help my problems.....

I'm never one to do things half way - I think I have it all! I have BBA, Staghorn, BGA and hair algae. Quite a varied mixture!

I am hoping that soon I'll be able to get pressurized co2 which I'm hoping will help my problems.....

Half your luck! I was excited last night to see a bit of green film on the glass. I'd increased from 8 to 9 hrs. Got another light to try though.

Back
Top Bottom