why do my Goby's keep dying????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

proverbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
i had my tank for about 2 years now, and i got all my fish near the same time. i have a 40 gal tank with 2 blue tangs, maroon clown, and 1 diamondback goby. i have have a small crab and some snails.

about a month ago, my Goby died. his head was basically the only thing left on his body since the crab got to his body. i was really sad, since this was my favorite fish. he was awesome.

so after a week or two, my tank was getting way too dirty, so i bought another diamond back goby about the same size. the past week or two, he cleaned the tank spotless. it seemed like he was doing ok, but today my dad found him dead, while the other fish were picking at it.

i did notice the other fish bothering him a little bit, but didnt think they would kill him. not sure whats going on. has anyone had this problem??? TIA!!

C ould you post your water parameters. I`m thinking with your bio load that they might be out of wack. Also do you have a sand substrate?

i checked my water parameters not too long ago, and everything was fine (based on the chart).

what do you mean by sand substrate?

i had the tank for about 2 years now and my previous goby was very active and was always out and about, which is why his death was a surprise.

i believe that my first goby could have died of natural causes, but im curious on why my second goby died. he died in 2 weeks.

i have sand.

I had a goby that lived 6 yrs so I really dont think natural causes was the problem. Your water test needs to be done so we can see what they are at the present.

i have a 40 gal tank with 2 blue tangs, maroon clown,
How big are these 2 yr old fish? 2 tangs will not work in a 40, in fact no tang should be in a 40. Maroons can get very aggressive and I would expect some aggression with those tangs in there too.

I would suspect either water quality or aggression. I had a watchman goby for 13 yrs, so I doubt it was "natural causes".

There could be tons of reasons why it died. Some of it may be:

1.) You got a bad fish. There are plenty of fish caught in bad conditions using bad methods, kept in inadequate housing, shipped poorly, and kept in a LFS.
2.) Aggression in your tank. Your tank seems rather overcrowded with some aggressive fish in comparison to gobies. It could have gotten stressed due to the fact that you said the others were picking on him.
3.) Poor water quality. By the fact that you said since your last goby died your tank got awful, there's a problem. If water conditions are kept up and there is a healthy tank, you shouldn't NEED a goby. My assumption is you are having problems with nitrates due to overcrowding and possibly overfeeding. If you are using tap water, that's another easy source of nitrates.
4.) Illness. Fish stores have sometimes hundreds of fish revolving through their stores every week, all sitting in the same water. Even in a very well-kept LFS, you're going to see disease.
5.) Poor acclimation.

My best guess is a mix of #2 and #3, but the 3rd is primarily caused by the 2nd. But again, without more information it could be 1 of tons of other reasons.

Back
Top Bottom