why is my filter cartridge so clean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pezcaito

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted recently about water hardness and low PH, but now I noticed that my filter cartridge is clean after a couple of weeks of not rinsing out. What's up with that?

It may take a few months for the brown gunk good bacteria to colonize on your media. Just don't wash it off.

The rate a HOB cartridge gunks up depends on flow, stocking level, feeding frequency - type of food & amount fed. I'm probably forgetting a few other factors, but you get the idea.

The PH seems to be consistently 6.4 GH around 300 and KH is around 30. I mostly have brackish fish except for a couple of cory and 4 mystery snails. the Nitrate levels are good as well as the Ammonia. These numbers have stayed pretty consistent, anyway the filter cartridge seems to stay clean. I rinsed it out over 2 weeks ago and there is barely any gunk on it. I don't understand, I only vacuum when I do a 50% water change (maybe every 6 weeks) and I change 5 gals every week. its a 29gal tank.

With a pH of 6.4 your beneficial bacteria is inhibited by 90% at a pH of 6.5. You need to get your pH to about 7+ to get it kick started so it can grow. Thoroughly cleaning you filter is washing off all the good bacteria. All that brown gunk is your bacteria going down the drain.

You don't want to thoroughly clean your filters, read here.

With a pH of 6.4 your beneficial bacteria is inhibited by 90% at a pH of 6.5. You need to get your pH to about 7+ to get it kick started so it can grow. Thoroughly cleaning you filter is washing off all the good bacteria. All that brown gunk is your bacteria going down the drain.

You don't want to thoroughly clean your filters, read here.

Fishwonder are you the author of this guide?

Just curious, speaking of cleaning filters - I noticed after running the filter 3 months straight, it would not get the water clear. The water always seemed hazy. I then upgraded to a bigger filter for my 20 gallon, which cleared instantly, and now I figure, do we need to completely clean out the filter when the water cannot clear? I had replaced the cartridge too, at the time, and I do that every 5 -6 weeks.

Just curious, speaking of cleaning filters - I noticed after running the filter 3 months straight, it would not get the water clear. The water always seemed hazy. I then upgraded to a bigger filter for my 20 gallon, which cleared instantly, and now I figure, do we need to completely clean out the filter when the water cannot clear? I had replaced the cartridge too, at the time, and I do that every 5 -6 weeks.

Changing the cartridge made the water hazy. Unfortunately you bought a bigger filter for no reason.

Changing the cartridge made the water hazy. Unfortunately you bought a bigger filter for no reason.

Yes, however, I bought the filter because the other one was going to go back to the ten gallon for my fry. But are you saying there's no need to ever take apart the filter and rinse it out completely? Because the filter tip that's inside the aquarium seems a bit clouded with debris. I suppose I could scrub it with the glass scrubber.

Back
Top Bottom