Why is my sand in my 10gallon tank so dirty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How cold does her tank get? Plecos are tropical fish but can adjust to some lower temps but not too low.

If your fish are small it doesnt mean they will be ok in a small tank. With cichlids there is aggression issues and they need a lot of swimming room. If you want to keep african cichlids i suggest getting a 4 foot tank minimum. Also the pleco if its a common needs a 125 at least to be comfortable.

Cichlid-dude said:
If your fish are small it doesnt mean they will be ok in a small tank. With cichlids there is aggression issues and they need a lot of swimming room. If you want to keep african cichlids i suggest getting a 4 foot tank minimum. Also the pleco if its a common needs a 125 at least to be comfortable.

How many gallons is a 4 foot tank?

Cichlid-dude said:

+1 you should stock according to the fishes adult size, not the size they are when you buy them. That's what causes aggression.

15 degrees is much too cold for plecos. That's 59 degrees in fahrenheit. I'd say no lower then 70 degrees for them. They are tropical fish.

Africans (especially the ones you've got) are super aggressive and if they've not already picked on your tropical fish, probably will. And more than likely will kill them. African cichlids are highly aggressive. Because of that aggression and their eventual size require a 4 foot tank which is 55 gallons.
Not to mention the fact that cichlids and tropical fish have different water requirements. All in all, rehome (either get rid of them or put them in a different tank) the cichlids and you'll both ( you AND the fish) will be happier.
And yes, the dirt is poo lol

Ryleyman said:
2 male guppies, cherry red cichlid, yellow lab cichlid, blue electric zebra cichlid, kongi cichlid, red pladie and a small Pleco but I'm only using him to clear up my tank and then I put him in my brothers tank to clear up his until I have more algae.

Cichlids don't mix with community fish very well, especially Mbuna. As well 10 gallons is too small for your cichlids.

Read the full posts...cichlids arent tropical, dont go in a ten, and is the tank cycled? If not, then everyone should be taken out.. we dont keep you in a fridge, dont keep fish improperly just the same... also at the op, noone was mean to you, you just rushed into an idea, and didnt like what you found out.. noone was mean, just right...

Indeed, +1. Is the tank in fact cycled? How are the fish? Have you rehomed them yet? What are the parameters? What is your cleaning schedule? What is the temp?

Temp is 68 ish, paremeters are most likley un cycled, as hes using a common pleco to clean the tank.(btw plecos wont eat fish poop..yyou have to clean the tank. Expect 5 to 8 pwc's DAILY to keep that stock healthy. (This wont help the other fish beicoming snacks by the cichlids...)

Take them back to the store, and do research or
Dont ask us what we think, because your wrong,and you dont wana hear that....

Ok everyone...this poor guy!! He's 14, and we've probably scared him off for life.

We don't mean to sound harsh, but I don't think you realize the situation you've got. I'm sure they're all getting along right now but that's cuz they're all small. You've gotten lucky that nothing has gotten killed.

We really are trying to help.

Lady_Alia said:
Ok everyone...this poor guy!! He's 14, and we've probably scared him off for life.

We don't mean to sound harsh, but I don't think you realize the situation you've got. I'm sure they're all getting along right now but that's cuz they're all small. You've gotten lucky that nothing has gotten killed.

We really are trying to help.
il just get my mom to take back all my fish :/

hippy guy said:
Read the full posts...cichlids arent tropical, dont go in a ten, and is the tank cycled? If not, then everyone should be taken out.. we dont keep you in a fridge, dont keep fish improperly just the same... also at the op, noone was mean to you, you just rushed into an idea, and didnt like what you found out.. noone was mean, just right...

So your saying just return all my fish?

You dont have to take all your fish back. Your tropical fish will be fine in a 10g. Just try and get a bigger tank as soon as possible for your cichlids. The only fish I would take back is the common pleco and once your tank is cycled get some otos or a bristlenose pleco. Also try and get a bigger tank for your cichlids as SOOn and I mean Soon as possible. They grow pretty fast man.

My mom said that I can't buy a 55 gallon the biggest is a 30-35 gallon

Do you know how much it would cost for a 30-35 gallon

No need to get hurt feelings also man. Everyone here is trying to help you. The only bad thing that may have gotten to you was the whole keep you in my fridge thing but really he was just trying to show you an example of what its like to keep fish in a aqaurium they cant fit in.

Keep the guppies and platies I think were your second tropical fish and go from there. This really is an awesome hobby once you learn how to do everything correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom