Why is my tank sick, and how?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollymom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi AA,

I've been dealing with what I assume is Internal and/or External Parasites in my tank. Before the sickness my 50 gallon tank was stocked with:

13 Norman Lampeye Ricefish/Killifish
5 Green Neons
7 Neons
6 Panda Cories

I have lost 3 Lampeyes, 1 Neon, and 2 Cories. My water parameters have been, and are,

Ammonia and Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 10 ppm (lots of plants in the tank)
pH: 8.0 (mixture of RO and well water)

My parameters are consistent . A month ago, 3 lamp-eyes died. I medicated the tank with Jungle Parasite Clear for internal parasites. Fish were better, or so I thought. Now this week, 1 neon, and 2 cories died :( . I do weekly 25-30% water changes and did one after the neon died. I noticed the second dead cory only this afternoon and he had greyish-whitish stringy film hanging all over him.

I take very good care of my tank and I don't understand how I have a sickness that is wiping out my fish... What should I do? and how does my healthy, planted tank have parasites?(or maybe another sickness???)

I included a pic of my tank so that everyone can see that it is a healthy planted tank.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• fish tank pic.jpg
    fish tank pic.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 69
Bumping. Does ANYONE have anything to say? having a real hard time sorting this out... thanks

What did the fish look like when they died? Any symptoms?

Had there been any changes in the tank around the time of the deaths or just before? Even a larger than normal water change?

The white film sounds fungal but that could be after fish died.

Could be parasites, the fish just don't like the water chemistry or bacterial so just a matter of narrowing down.

Thanks so much for responding!

The lampeyes that died were all having trouble swimming. They were swimming vertically, with their tail down and head up. They couldn't seem to swim normally at all. When the lampeyes and the neon died they just seemed kinda pale. Only the one cory had the stringy film on him after he died. I did not see anything on the fish before they died. I also never even noticed the neon or the cories were sick, and then over the last 4/5 days they've just shown up dead. I don't recall anything Ive done to the tank that is out of the ordinary. Should I do more water changes? Or medicate the tank?

Thanks in advance :cool:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some extra water changes sound good to freshen the water.

It doesn't sound like parasites. Was poop normal and they weren't concave around the belly or had weight loss?

Back
Top Bottom