Why so much Money?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vindicator

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys and Gals. Iv been putting together a list for a 110g SW tank, and have a question or 2.

So far I really want to have a Refugium in stand for filtration, along with a skimmer.

But I have been looking at Sumps and Refugiums that are for sale, and WOW. What is the deal? 250-300 dollars for some sumps? And the prices for refugiums are even higher.

So my question is why? I just don't get it. I'm thinking I can go the LFS and buy a smaller glass tank to use as a Refugium. All I have to do is buy a small amount of plastic and put in the dividers.

How can they charge this much?? I just don't get it.

That's why DIY is so popular. It's a small market so the prices for professionally made sumps are high.

I am in the process now of making my own sump. It is really not that hard, just make sure like anything you do enough research on it before starting.

But I have been looking at Sumps and Refugiums that are for sale, and WOW. What is the deal? 250-300 dollars for some sumps? And the prices for refugiums are even higher. ...

How can they charge this much?? I just don't get it.

Why so high? Because refugiums are "all the rage" right now. Skimmers are sooooo 2006! :rolleyes:

They charge that much because, well... they can. And most people will pay it.

Ya I think that is what I am going to end up doing. Just buy a Aquarium and put in the dividers. Does anyone here have a good web page for Refugium plans? Or just some good pictures of one?

Its easy...the market will bare what people will buy. Commercial or premaid sumps/fuges offer the buyer an easy and fast solution, at a price. as mentioned, this is why DIY is so popular. I have not personally tried a DIY sump (I started with a wet/dry from ProClear Aquatics) but there are several sites out there devoted to such things.

I just had mine custom made.(350.00 came with light) for several reasons. (1) afraid I would screw something up and have an overflow. (2) I didn't have the time or energy to mess with builiding my own (3) I am not much of A DIY kinda guy however I did my own PVC plumbing felt pretty good to create it myself. (4) standard size tanks for the DIY job are too wide to fit underneath a 46gbow cabinet, the custom job had to be 10"wide. (5) the custom made sump is 10"wide X 32"long X 16" high it has much more water volume than any standard size tank I could even think about fitting underneath the stand.

i have a 65 gallon tank and simply did this for a sump.. i took a 20 gallon long so about 20 dollars... placed marks where i wanted glass placed and went to a glass cutting store and had them cut glass for me. not only did they cut glass for me they bought glue that was aquarium safe and put the glass in where i wanted it.. total for my sump.. about 50 dollars.. it has three chambers.. first is for the protein skimmer, second is for the chaeto and third is for the return pump, works fantastic

Check out the site that was posted here. (melevsreef.com) If you are even slightly handy you shouldn't have any trouble doing a DIY sump/fuge. I did as Lando did and started out with a proclear Wet/Dry and quickly realized it was wasted money. You live and learn. I have a 20g Tall as my fuge and my sump is basically just my return tank and that is a 10g. My Skimmer is plumbed inline with one of my drain lines and is an external recirc skimmer. Pretty easy to do it your self if you take the time to do it. Save lots of $$$$$$$$$

Yup! yup! thats what I have decided, DIY refugium. I will hopfully be picking up the 110g main tank this weekend or next. I have an old 55 and 20 laying around. But I think the 55 is just alittle to big ( I will have to see the stand again ) and the 20 is just alittle to small. So I might take a trip to the store sometime this week to see what they have in stock.

You can never have too large a sump/fuge!!! If you can make the 55 work use it! The additional water volume will only help!

Back
Top Bottom