Why wont my tiger barbs school?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I added 7 tiger barbs to my tank 4 of them stick together while 2 sometimes 3 of them won't. 4 of them are about 1 and a half inches while the other 3 are just over half an inch long so there baby's.
I admit I have a fluval 405 so the current is kinda strong but the bit that takes water out the tank iv put a small sponge in there to slow the current down, thats worked a little but they still don't really stay together.
When I put food in they eat like the rest and the there barbs don't bother the 3 little ones.
My tank is 200L and at the moment there are no other fish with them.
Is it just simply the current is too strong and the baby fish aren't strong enough to stick with them??

Banana mouse said:
Yesterday I added 7 tiger barbs to my tank 4 of them stick together while 2 sometimes 3 of them won't. 4 of them are about 1 and a half inches while the other 3 are just over half an inch long so there baby's.
I admit I have a fluval 405 so the current is kinda strong but the bit that takes water out the tank iv put a small sponge in there to slow the current down, thats worked a little but they still don't really stay together.
When I put food in they eat like the rest and the there barbs don't bother the 3 little ones.
My tank is 200L and at the moment there are no other fish with them.
Is it just simply the current is too strong and the baby fish aren't strong enough to stick with them??

Schooling fish school when stressed
It's good that they aren't schooling so soon after being added
It means they aren't scared and stressed

Really? I thought it was a sign of illness etc. maybe it was the way I added them to the tank? Iv tried my best to make my water like the water at the fish shop. Iv tried to get the ph the same, the water temperature etc...
I add 100ml of water to the bag every 10 mins for a hour.

Anyway are the baby fish are fine? And would it be best to add another 4 barbs just to try and keep them happier?

If you just added them yesterday, maybe they're just a little stressed from the move over. I'd watch them for a few days, but they should clump back together normally once they feel safe and sound.

Edit: Or, that's been my experience at least. Again, as the last reply said, it could be good. I'd just watch and see, and monitor them as is for a few days.

There now together more But yes I'll keep an eye on them. Iv hit some terry black water extract would I add some of that?

I'd honestly leave them be, I've always heard that it can be a good sign that they aren't stressed and feeling threatened. I added 5 rasboras to my 20 gal on Tuesday. By evening they were split up and checking things out on their own. They go back to schooling but I often spot 1 or 2 off on their own. They are also the only ones in the tank which I think is why they feel ok doing this

Don't mess with your water params. Stable and consistent parameters are more important than getting them just perfect. Fish can and will adjust to your water, just keep your water the same and they will come around to what you have.

I've had this problem to. You want your schooling fish to school or "shoal" but sometimes they don't I wouldn't read too much into it though. I don't think there is anything you can do about it.

IMO schooling is natural behavior. Fish exhibit natural behavior when they are comfortable, happy and healthy. Sure it is a defense mechanism but I would be inclined to think that they school when healthy and happy, and when unhealthy and stressed this would make them not school, or IOW, not exhibit natural behavior.

All of them look happy, they have explored the tank by themselves. It's just the tiny one is still by its self ill upload a picture of how small he/she is. I decided I think it's just simply the filter. But im still going to keep a close eye on the barbs just to be on the safe side. Thank you for your input and the information

Back
Top Bottom