Why you can't keep your goldfish in a 10g!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJim

Aquarium Advice Addict
article-1309880-0B11B738000005DC-848_634x434.jpg

This is why you can't keep that goldfish in your 10g! This fish was caught in France.

"It might look like an enormously generous fairground prize.
But no goldfish bowl in the world could contain this catch.

The orange koi carp weighs 30lb - the same as an average three-year-old girl - and is thought to be one of the largest of its kind ever captured."

What about those feeder goldfish at chain stores I that are like 4 cents. Our Petco has 3 different types minnows, I can't think of the other 2. I have a 1.77g aquarium with a sponge filter could I keep it in that? Maybe 2 minnows? I mean it would be better than what their in, right? They keep them in a 5g bowl, hundreds of them. Would it be alright to put them in it? I'd do water changes every other day. My friend has a feeder goldfish in a 1g undergravel filtered tank and kept it for 1 year. I know it couldn't thrive as much as it could on a huge aquariums, but wouldn't it be better than it's current conditions, just wondering.

No. That is the point of this thread, it is a bad idea. Goldfish can get enormous. The "feeders" are probably commons or comets that can get over 1 foot long.

Ok so would red cherry shrimp be a good idea for my small aquariums? I have 8 tanks under 2 gallons that I nerd to do something with I'm not sure what though.
No. That is the point of this thread, it is a bad idea. Goldfish can get enormous. The "feeders" are probably commons or comets that can get over 1 foot long.

Doesnt a goldfish get as big as its environment? I have 6 regular goldfish and 3 were feeder fish but my mom decided to get 9 and only 3 survive and they are pretty fat.

Doesnt a goldfish get as big as its environment? I have 6 regular goldfish and 3 were feeder fish but my mom decided to get 9 and only 3 survive and they are pretty fat.
no. their outside might stop growing and get stunted but their internal origins keep growing until they basically burst.

Great post . I do not know how many times I have told people that they can not keep gold fish in bowls and smalls aquariums . The biggest problem is these companies selling Bowls and 10 Gal. Starter kits with pictures of goldfish on the box or states that it is "great for gold fish" .

I have also heard many people say that a fish will only grow to suit their environment , which is also untrue . I have even heard employees at my LFS make this statement . I wish people would look into the facts and do some research before they go out and buy Gold Fish , Oscars , Pacu , Arowanas , Common Plecos etc; etc; to put in their 10 to 20 gal aquariums . I once had a friend ask me how many arowanas could he put in his 60 Gal . , I told him none and he had gotten mad .

There's now way you could not have realized I joking.

I figured you were joking , but there are people who do try to keep Oscars in 10/20 Gal aquariums so many are used to this statement/question as a serious inquiry .

Would red cherry shrimp do well In a 1g filtered unheated aquarium? I have a bunch of empty 1g tanks and want to add something to them.

fake fake fake

that pic is very photoshopped.

As an angler and other anglers here WILL agree, he is not showing the muscle strain now facial muscle strain as you would holding a fish that large.

fake fake fake

that pic is very photoshopped.

As an angler and other anglers here WILL agree, he is not showing the muscle strain now facial muscle strain as you would holding a fish that large.

Not fake, the picture was take with a wide-angle lense though. The fish was measured and weighed at 30 pounds. That does not seem unreasonable.

There's now way you could not have realized I joking.

I really honestly figured you were joking, but I thought I should say SOMETHING and I didn't want to be demeaning if you really didn't know. As you can see...

I had a oscar in a 10 gallon.

Until he got to 5 inches then put him in a 75 gallon

i had a friend a few years back keep an oscar in a 25gal...wasn't pretty he could barely swim

Oscars in tiny tanks are a common occurrence. I know people who have also kept Oscars in 10gals :(

if thirty pounds causes you strain WD it might be time to hit the gym. My boy is ~30 and I toss him around all day. ;)

Mark, I thought you were kidding. the only good thing to keep in a 1 gal is candy. I used to use one to breed pond snails for my yoyo. No fish would live well in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom