Wild aquatic plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xiaoxiao

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im at the lake near my house today and i found lots of nice looking aquatic plants floating around that have great roots. Since i dont live in an tropical area (i live in canada) im not sure if i can add them to my planted tank. Does anyone have any experience with adding wild species to your aquariums?

I don't have experience with this. But I would be cautious for two reasons:
1. There is a chance you can introduce undesirable organisms into your tank. Anything from fungi, algae, snails, worms, crustaceans, and insects. Some parasitic, some not. Proper disinfection techniques should be used.
2. The temperature in the tank may be too high for these native species.
Not saying you should not do this, just weigh out the options. You could setup a native cold water tank for these plants.

I don't have experience with this. But I would be cautious for two reasons:
1. There is a chance you can introduce undesirable organisms into your tank. Anything from fungi, algae, snails, worms, crustaceans, and insects. Some parasitic, some not. Proper disinfection techniques should be used.
2. The temperature in the tank may be too high for these native species.
Not saying you should not do this, just weigh out the options. You could setup a native cold water tank for these plants.

Ok thanks so much for the reply, i dont think ill be using them anytime soon now that i know all the risks.

I actually do it like they said there are risk it's just doing the safe procedures to make it okay to have them in your tank I love the natural look in my opinion but just have to be willing to put the effort to take responsibility of everything

Back
Top Bottom