will a yellow tang get along with a hippo tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcinek101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Will a yellow tang get along with a hippo tang? I have a 75 gallon tank, with only the hippo, algae blenny, and coral beauty, and a clown. Will adding a yellow to the mix cause problems for any of the other fish?

While im thinking about it are the neon pseudochromis as nasty as everyone tells me?

FWIW I have a yellow tang and hippo in my 72 gallon bowfront. I've had them both for approximately 6-9 months. I've been told that having that combo is pretty much the max for my tank. The only problem that I've had is that the yellow tang is a brute and does like to bully the hippo. They've settled into a good routine but I'd be aware that hippo's are more susceptible to ick (so I've heard but luckily I've not had that problem). Good Luck!

Should be fine until the hippo grows out. Pseudochromids can be territorial, but I don't see anything it would bother other than possibly the algae blenny.

I had a hippo tang and a yellow tang together and they did great, but be careful you need make sure that the yellow tang is the last fish in your tank. They are very aggressive to tank mates that are add after, I learned that the hard way my yellow tang killed the new fish in two days. The yellow tang has since died and I don't think I'm going to replace him.

I agree that the yellow tang can be rough. You might want to think about getting a yellow tang that is smaller than the hippo. Hippo tangs are more suseptible to ick IMO.

Are hippo blue tangs more or less susceptible to ick than powder blue tangs?

I'd love to get at least one blue tang but am not sure which is better for ick.

IME the powder blue was horrible with ick. I would think the hippo might be better but he still is suseptible.

Back
Top Bottom