Will Butterfly fish definately eat coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonnie3188

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I'm about to upgrade my tank to around a 70-80 gallon tank. I've been researching which fish to put in- I'm so excited! I currently have two clownfish and a coral banded shrimp and a few corals.

I was thinking a yellow tang, sailfin tang, purple tang and I absolutely love Butterfly fish. However, I have read that Butterfly fish are incompatible with corals. I went to my LFS and saw the cutest little Butterfly fish- I'm pretty sure it was a Klein's Butterfly Fish. When I asked the man about it, he simply said that it would definately eat coral- quite rudely aswell!

Just wondering if all Butterfly fish eat corals? Or if maybe some kinds are less likely to eat coral? Because I have seen pictures of peoples tanks with Butterfly and corals. Also, will it be alright with my Shrimp? My shrimp is fairly non aggressive.

And just one last thing- sorry this is very long!- I tihnk purple tangs are so beautiful, I have read that they are very expensive, but are there any other problems with them? I would introduce all the Tangs to the new tank at the same time to try and avoid aggression.

Thanks so much for your advice!
Bonnie

Attachments

• beep_199.jpg
    beep_199.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 77
There are a few butterfly fish that are less likely than others to eat corals, but all are a risk. A yellow tang would be fine for your tank but the purple tang is too much fish IMO. The sailfin is definitely too much for a 70-80 gal. Purple tangs are aggressive and should be added last. The smaller the tank the greater chance it will attack the other tangs.
Pic for you. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/data/530/IMG_0588.jpg

I concur that most likely the butterfly fish will eat corals,esp your soft fleshy corals like the brain coral and hammer coral. I really believe that you will not be able to keep all three tangs in your tank. Brenden had some good advice on the subject.

for that amount of tangs you would probly need a 125+g tank, but you can host several other pretty cool fish and a tang

There are some butterflies that most likely won't eat corals, some that maybe won't but the majority most surely will.

The safest ones I know of are the tinkers butterfly, the 4 eyed butterfly the reef butterfly and the copperband butterfly (although this one is the least safe imo).

I agree with the others three tangs is too much for that tank.

Oh okay, thanks for the advice!

I'll research more into those Butterfly fish, and won't buy the purple tang! Will have to rethink the Sailfin tang aswell. It's so confusing how different sources say completely different recommended tank sizes!

i'll keep you posted on the new tank!

Thanks guys

One thing about this site is that the majority of people here speak from experience. It`s one thing to go by the book, but another to go by experience.

Back
Top Bottom