Will Irma impact fish from Florida?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coralbandit

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have family who live in and have decided to stay in Florida through Irma..
Not the smartest idea IMO ,but for my family maybe not the most risky decision made either ! My heart and prayers are for all who are there or left to be safe.

So now that that is said I wonder about the near future of fish from Florida..
Many farms and even "small" breeders will probably be heavily impacted..
We the keepers of fish get A LOT of the regular fish and plants we enjoy from Florida..Not to mention many ,many special and wild caught that are imported to Florida due to its climate...:ermm:
Is it possible that fish will become more expensive ,unavailable or even worse all from Asian farms as a result of this hurricane ?
The last option scares me the most as unfortunately regardless of Floridas 'condition' fish stores across the country will still need to sell fish..
I supply a decent amount of fish to my best LFS in my area and have a small felling my fish may become just a little more in demand.:whistle:
I hope no special variations or species are lost or possibly worse released due to the storm..This is how the python crisis started years ago..
What is everyones thoughts on this?

They'll all get released into the wild and we can go catch them ourselves!

Just stumbled upon a partial Florida map on line showing several different fish farms. They are spread all over the state, coastal and central. This hurricane is not the hatcheries first rodeo. I'm certain that the state regulates the fish farms and establishes laws to ensure enclosure during hurricanes. As we all know bad things do and will happen. The breeders have had a week to prepare. Let's hope there are procedures in place to limit possible damage.

Imperial Tropicals posted a video on their facebook page yesterday that showed what they were doing to prepare.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom