Will life in my sump make it to the Main tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a sump setup (10G) for my 38G tank. Lots of micro critters down there now. I was just curious as they breed down there, will they make their way into the DT? I wasn't sure if them or their eggs get sucked into the pump if they'd survive or not. My wrasse is def. a copepod muncher and I wasn't sure if they'd make their way to the tank or if there was a technique for moving a bunch up there. Still plenty in the DT, and thankfully he's started to eat mysis shrimp, just wasn't sure how that all worked.

Side Note: sometimes its just as fun to watch the little guys in the sump as things in the DT. Tiny Brittle Stars on the glass are neat.

They go up to the DT by themselves through the return line. I didn't have any pods in my DT, but ever since i added lots to my fuge i've been seeing them now in my DT.

So I have a sump setup (10G) for my 38G tank. Lots of micro critters down there now. I was just curious as they breed down there, will they make their way into the DT? I wasn't sure if them or their eggs get sucked into the pump if they'd survive or not. My wrasse is def. a copepod muncher and I wasn't sure if they'd make their way to the tank or if there was a technique for moving a bunch up there. Still plenty in the DT, and thankfully he's started to eat mysis shrimp, just wasn't sure how that all worked.

Side Note: sometimes its just as fun to watch the little guys in the sump as things in the DT. Tiny Brittle Stars on the glass are neat.

Good question. Ideally the refugium would be above the tank so the return water doesn't have to get into the main tank with an impellar. However, not many people are able to accomplish this. Somehow it all works out, some pods must live passed the impellars. Regardless it should help to keep Nitrates down, PH stable etc. With that said, I'll probably still never have a fuge.

Any particular reason?

IMO, there is nothing wrong with having a refugium and it does have its benefits....as long as you properly maintain it. However, I don't think it is necessary to have a refugium to have a successful tank. There are tons of tanks out there which can prove that. I'm all about heavy skimming to export and frequent partial water changes to import trace elements, pristine water etc.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with having a refugium and it does have its benefits....as long as you properly maintain it. However, I don't think it is necessary to have a refugium to have a successful tank. There are tons of tanks out there which can prove that. I'm all about heavy skimming to export and frequent partial water changes to import trace elements, pristine water etc.

Gotcha. I was just curious, it almost seemed like you were against them.

An easy way to catch them is to place a net in your fuge over night with some macro algae if you have any then by the next day the net will have plenty in there,thats what I do.

Back
Top Bottom