Will oscar get hurt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I started setting up a 90 gallon tank. I just bought it last night actually just for him. I feel like he has a personality bc he attacks his reflection so I've grown attached

How is that terrible advise? If you were in a tank by yourself all day wouldnt you be bored? Im sure adding the right fish with the Oscar will maybe calm him down.
I'm sure it will not. You are giving a fish HUMAN qualities. They do not behave the same way as a human and do not see companionship in the same way as humans do. It is terrible advice. Oscars are HIGHLY territorial fish, and are extreme waste producers. Declining water conditions and competition for territory will not make a fish happier.

I see your point. But hes rehoming this Oscar to a 90 gallon. Which he will be much happier, and the more room the more options for tank mates. Just my opinion.

My Oscar does the same from time to time I think it's just getting rid of natural aggression feed him lots of live food big river shrimp even dare I say the odd goldfish.

There are plenty of fish an Oscar will live with as long as the tank is big enough a large parrot ,silver dollers another Oscar or even a big angle I've got a angle in with mine and they get on great not a single scrap. Every fish is different

Great job on getting your Oscar a proper home the 90 gallon will be great for him how big is he now?

Oh nice that 90 is going to really benefit him. In a 90 gallon tankmates would be either some type of dither fish and a small cichlid. You could do something like

1- Oscar
1- Convict or firemouth
4- Silver Dollars

Or
1- Oscar
1- Convict or firemouth
1- Stripped Raphael or African Featherfin catfish.

Just to put some stocking ideas in your head.

I had an albino catfish for 5 years but he recently died from amonia :( he couldn't last long enough for Christmas for me to get the bigger tank :( that's why I'm taking so much time and caution now. I'll def look those up I hadn't come around to reading about what fish get along with it yet

All the ones I just out my excellent tankmates but here's a list of possible tankmates just off the too of my head

Silver Dollars
All Syno cat species
Mid sized to large plecos
Convict Cichlid
Firemouth Cichlid
Blue Acara Cichlid
Stripped Raphael Catfish
Severum

Are a few good Oscar tankmates.

All the ones I just out my excellent tankmates but here's a list of possible tankmates just off the too of my head Silver Dollars All Syno cat species Mid sized to large plecos Convict Cichlid Firemouth Cichlid Blue Acara Cichlid Stripped Raphael Catfish Severum Are a few good Oscar tankmates.

I agree with most of your suggestions, though there are many syndontis cats and mid sized plecs that would never be able to fend for themselves against an oscar (my little oscar Piggy is currently a swiftly growing 6-7 inches and tries to take on my 10 inch striped pimodella cat AND my over foot long oscar, Gino). As oscars get bigger they tend to calm down on aggression like you wouldn't believe, mine won't even bother with feeder fish any more- anybody want 2 5 inch goldfish, 2 2 inch goldfish and 2 3 inch rosy barbs? I warn about fire mouths that they may be a little to delicate for life with a sub adult oscar- it will be hit or miss.

In your particular case I would honestly consider (for your 90g) a similar sized oscar (albinos tend to be more docile) along with a mid sized bottom feeder/ cleaner fish and an algae eater just make sure that you provide plenty of driftwood caves, sideways, tilted or upturned clay flower pots and soft potted fake plants on the sides of your tank to lessen them full speed smacking their faces off the glass. Just remember- oscars can and sometimes do grow upwards of 18 inches in captivity and are known for preying upon fish that are about half their size without even thinking about it.... Good luck!!! I am obsessed with oscars and have kept them for around 25 years or so... Since I was a small child... They are incredibly human in their behaviors, they know who you are and will often "cuddle" in their keepers hands, jump to greet them and readily eat from their hands!!! My current 2 give hi fives, jump for food and make me pet them when I clean their tank by rubbing up against my arms and fingers until I open my hand near the surface, then they swim through my fingertips ( yes, I do sometimes get bit, it doesn't usually hurt, though watch your fingers if you hand feed, lol).

You have to put up a video of that! I'm deign to see it!!! My oscar does get excited to see me tho

He keeps attacking his reflection. He opens his mouth and swims fast at the tank wall for a second than stops for 30 than attacks it. Is he going to get hurt doing this?

You should check out this months freshwater PotM contest. 2nd picture would be good for it ;)

Yepp he left mad scratches. Hopefully in the 90 he'll stop with the new environment

Back
Top Bottom