Will oven cleaning fumes hurt my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlinsey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a 6 gal tank that has been set up since last Christmas, with a platy, a tetra, and 8 young mollies. The latter were born to one of our original fish that died. We have the tank in the kitchen on the counter between the fridge and the range.
I'm going to run the self-cleaning cycle on the range soon, and I had heard in the past that the fumes from this can be bad for birds...so just wondering if anyone knows if this could hurt the fish, and if there is anything I should do to avoid problems. I will open windows to ventilate as much as possible, but what about changing the filter before or after? TIA

It should be fine. If you are running an external air pump for a bubbler or something I would turn that off. And if you are really worried, throw a blanket over the tank. But I think you will be fine.

Agreed, cover the tank, turn the filter off, especially an air pump, vent the kitchen with fans if necessary, and open doors & windows. They should be fine for an hour or so without the filter. If you have an internal filter such as a shark or other that is underwater that is not air pump driven, that should be okay to run while the cleaning is going on. Good luck, let us know that everything is alright.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom