Will Planting Now Mess up My Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bungle

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 55gal. is in the middle of its fishless cycle right now.

ammonia = 5-6ppm
nitrite = >5
nitrate = >5

this will ultimately be a planted tank. i was wondering if i planted now if it will alter my cycle? How about anything else i should be concerned with?

TIA!

With some solid fertilizer in the gravel n liquid fertiliser in water, with proper lighting, and if can with CO2 should be ok. Your cyle will not be effected.

if anything you will be able to add fish sooner....depending on how many plants you put in. The reason I say this is because plants suck up ammonia(which is harmful to fish). It will take a little longer to get a nitrate reading(my personal experience). If you add a lot of plants all at once, I would reccomend adding quite a few fish as well. The cycle will be slower with plants and fish but will get done...also, make sure you monitor all you paramters on a regular basis and do the regular water changes.

I hope all this makes sense(always does in my head:))

cool, thanks for the help, all. :mrgreen:

if i wanted to complete the cycle fishless, would adding ammonia to the tank as i've been doing still work? or will the plants gobble up whatever amount i put in? and i'm guessing nitrites aren't affected? as i am already cycling, it should be no problem to continue testing my water everyday.

a whole tank full! i actually put them in last night. after looking a just water and a hunk of driftwood for two weeks, it was great to turn the lights on and see all the color. :mrgreen:

you are good to go ahead and add a large qty of fish if you would like. The plants will take care of the harmful ammonia and the fish will be happy!!

No prob...my pleasure. It's nice to finally give back some of the information the people on this site have given me! If you have a camera you should post some pics of the new tank!

yup, i gotta work on that! i have a digi camera, but have never tried to post any pics, gotta figure that out. have to figure out what fish to get first, too!

Back
Top Bottom