Will shrimp ever pick a fish fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had my beautiful elephant eared betta fish in with ember tetras who were apparently supposed to NOT be fin nippers based on articles online and even the fish store experts at a private fish store near me, but they nipped my betta fins to shreds, I had to bring them back to the pet store. I have a very very heavily planted 10 gallon tank with driftwood, moss wall, huge Anubis plants, Indian almond leaf, Java ferns that have multiplied and I’ve tied to the driftwood and floating hornwort. It’s so dense with plants I was thinking I could get away with 4 ghost shrimp to help clean up some algae and gunk and keep the plants looking clean. They would be hard for the betta to see, and probably to fast for him and they’d have so many hiding spots. II just do not want to risk it if they may pick at me bettas fins. I mean I’d imagine he’d turn around a eat them if they did, so they’d probably stay away?

Ghost shrimp can be aggressive, I wouldn't use them, but the Cherry Shrimp are more docile, and be alright. They would likely be able to hide from the Betta in dense planting. Amano shrimp are a little aggressive with food. And for that reason, I would not use them in the tank until the Betta was healed up.

Back
Top Bottom