Will this filtration and maintenence schedule work for my 75g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrlucky923

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All, I have a 2 part question related to maintenance and filtration of my 75 gallon tank. First let me start by supplying some specs about my tank

Tank parameters - 75 degree water, 7.0 ph, 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, 10ppm nitrate
substrate - sand and gravel
decor -fake plants and driftwood
Fish:
Jack Dempsey - 2.5
2 convicts - 2" each
leporinus - 4"
Elephant nose - 4"
8 rosy barbs - 1.5" each
Red tailed shark - 2"
3 Irridescent shark - 2" each

Filtration - XP2 canister filter and aqueon 75 hang on tank filter
water changes - 25% every 3 days
water conditioner - prime

my plans will be to remove the barbs and the irridescent sharks at some point and possibly the red tailed shark as well and make this tank a permanent home for the remaining fish. this will be in approximately 9 - 12 months so my questions are aimed towards the upcoming 9 - 12 months.

my first question is pretty straight forward, will this filtration combined with my water changes be sufficient?

my next question is related to the decor that I have. I have built up many caves in the tank and have about 50 lbs of rock in it. When I do my water changes there is no way to effectively vaccum the entire substrate without moving a bunch of the decor wich would be a ton of work. I was thinking maybe i would need to move a portion ( 1/3 )of the rock and vacuum the substrate on a monthly basis and rotate that every month. what do I do? is that necessary? if it isnt I really dont want to because it would be a huge pain. I have never used this much rock so im in uncharted waters (pun intended) lol..
any advice will be very welcome!
Thank You

Attachments

• IMAG0991.jpg
    IMAG0991.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 76
IMO you don't even need to do water change every 3 days I have a 75g with marine land c530 canister I do 25% once a month and my nitrates stay @ or below 20ppm I have a jack a jewel a parrot and 4 convicts once they are full grown you may have to do 10% a week to help keep up

Personally I think weekly water changes are really important. I also think at the very least vacuuming half the tank ever 2 weeks is a minimum. But I don't have a 75g tank I have a 55...

Well like I said when the cichlids get larger and put out more wastse yes weekly will be crucial but for not monthly is fine

Thanks for the input, I think I will continue with frequent water changes and just set how it goes..

Back
Top Bottom