Will this stand work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not for sure what happened with the post. Paying too much attention to games most likely on my end.

90 gallon build, new stand. Need help? | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

Their pine stands I have looked at in the past have the top frame setting in a rabbet and then the back as shown in your prior picture. While definitely better ways to do it it the stand meets and exceeds (to what degree not for sure) the parameters it will be used for. Frequently come across across a lot of stand frame build discussions with structural engineers and material scientists stepping up to give some good information in regards to design and material choices (tendency for them to be more reef tank oriented however).

I am not a fan of most readily available stands based on their looks or material composition. I have built most of my stands over the years and others from hardwoods, ply wood, and/or construction lumber. The 2x4 build and wrap is about the easiest way for most DIY ers. As mentioned a lot of variety in veneered ply and decorative paneling.

Not for sure what happened with the post. Paying too much attention to games most likely on my end.

90 gallon build, new stand. Need help? | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

Their pine stands I have looked at in the past have the top frame setting in a rabbet and then the back as shown in your prior picture. While definitely better ways to do it it the stand meets and exceeds (to what degree not for sure) the parameters it will be used for. Frequently come across across a lot of stand frame build discussions with structural engineers and material scientists stepping up to give some good information in regards to design and material choices (tendency for them to be more reef tank oriented however).

I am not a fan of most readily available stands based on their looks or material composition. I have built most of my stands over the years and others from hardwoods, ply wood, and/or construction lumber. The 2x4 build and wrap is about the easiest way for most DIY ers. As mentioned a lot of variety in veneered ply and decorative paneling.

Thanks for the info!

I painted the intake tubes for my new AC 110 black using Krylon Dual Superbond prime+paint spray. I couldn't find Krylon Fusion, which I know is safe for tanks. I can smell paint on them and I'm wondering if I screwed up using that paint. Anyone familiar with that type?

How long has it cured for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe look at the ingredients in krylon and compare to the on you got and see what is different, if not enough info, call the company and try and talk to someone. Or email.

Maybe look at the ingredients in krylon and compare to the on you got and see what is different, if not enough info, call the company and try and talk to someone. Or email.

This is good advice and the MSDS chemical compounds should be online, they're required by law to publish it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There are a couple of differences in ingredients between the two. After much reading I learned a fun little fact...the liquid in paint is called the vehicle. The paint is cured once the vehicle is evaporated and completely gone, which can take up to two weeks or longer. Anyway, back to the subject, I could not find enough info to determine if Dual is as safe as Fusion, so I'm going to order new ones. Honestly it would probably be fine to use these, but again, I don't want to take any chances.

Got the tank on the stand and discovered it's not level. I need to raise the left side up 1/4". It's perfectly level from front to back. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Foam mat may help. A 1/4 is alot to shim but if you can cut it in half probably be fine.

I'm thinking I need to shim the stand on both left corners. That is a lot though. And I'm going to have a really hard time tapering the support on the back because it's only 6" from the wall. I read about cutting a piece of plywood to fit the bottom of the stand, shiming the plywood and setting the tank on the plywood. Then some folks don't even worry about 1/4" since it's left to right. Idk what to do.

Ya 1/4 not huge deal really. Id shim it a little im ocd. You ought o easily get it to an 1/8

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to stand the waterline being lower on one end. I'm going by Lowe's after work to see what type of shims they have. One thing after another... I'd really like to get this tank filled and running [emoji53]

Haha I used those! I need something that will support the gaps created from paint stirrers lifting the corners.

Back
Top Bottom